Saturday, July 5, 2008

7/5/08 Yellowstone, Here We Come!

Today we got up fairly early even though we were up pretty late last night. Today is moving day and we are both anxious to put this past week behind us and move on.

We got road ready as quickly as we could and then set out to say some goodbyes. While Bob was hooking up the truck I walked over to Bobby and Shelly's to let them know we were leaving. We didn't get to see much of them at all this week and for that we are sorry. This was their first rally ever and they attended the many seminars that we did during our first rally. (Our first rally was with a different organization) We probably won't see them again until next winter but we'll keep in touch through email and on the phone and of course we read each others blogs so we're never far away from them.

Barb walked over to give us their card so that we could also stay in touch. In all likelihood we'll see them next year in Arizona, at least we're hoping so. Who knows, our paths may cross before then.

Hugs and handshakes done with Barb and Ray and we were on our way. Back on the open road. YAY!

Our reservations for Yellowstone don't start until Tuesday so our plan was to get as far as Casper today, spend the night and then move on to Thermopolis where we'll spend two nights. Well, we made Casper by a little after noon and decided to just keep going since we hadn't expected to make this distance this easily. Since it was only another 145 miles or so to Thermopolis we decided to press on.

As usual, we had some beautiful scenery along the way.

IMG_4386

The hills sure were colorful.

IMG_4388

A going down the road picture.

IMG_4391

We had to go through a series of three tunnels like these.

IMG_4393

We drove parallel to this stream and I just know Bob wanted to pull over and get his fishing gear out.

IMG_4396

We pulled into Eagle RV Park a little after three.

IMG_4408

This campground was at one time a KOA. Gee, I wonder how we knew that? Must have been that peaked roof that gave it away. The little cabins throughout the campground was another clue.

IMG_4409

Our site. I am just lovin' this patch of cut green grass right outside our rig.

IMG_4410

After getting set up I walked over to the laundry room to check out how much the machines are since its time for that chore again. As I turned to leave the room the door opened and who should walk in but Vicky, a lady we sat next to during the opening ceremonies of the Escapade. She and I walked to our rig and I said to Bob, "Look who I ran into". He remembered her right away and then we all walked to their site to see her husband Bob. He was still setting up so we left them to their chores. I did go over later and of course the Escapade came up. They experienced the same thing! The word "clique" came up again. Now that's eight of us that I have personal knowledge of,,,I know it isn't just me and Bob. They did say they might go to another Escapade if it was in their area but that they wouldn't travel to one again like they had to with this one as they are from Washington.

Bob said there was a 5th wheel in the park that I had to see and to be sure to take the camera with me as he knew I would want pictures. I couldn't imagine why, I don't usually take pictures of other people's 5th wheels. As soon as I saw it I knew he was right as I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

IMG_4399

I knocked on the door to make sure it was OK to take pictures and put them on the blog. Vance, the owner, said sure, to take all the pictures I wanted and I could post them here. Thanks Vance! He also gave me a paper that gives the reason for each "scene" on the rig. This rig is a 2006 Heartland, Landmark, Grand Canyon 5th wheel that they ordered without graphics, just plain white. The only exception was the end cap where the Landmark logo was placed.

The painting was done by Robert Baxter who did all this using five different colors of paint and a PAINTBRUSH. It took him nine days, 4 hours each day. I can't even imagine.... Explanations for the scenes are from the paper Vance gave me.

Vance's Frog (bedroom slide)

This is a duplication of one of Robert Baxter's paintings that Vance liked. The frog symbolism teaches one to connect with the earth and everything on it, with the ability to see the magic and beauty behind it all.

IMG_4400

Dragon Fly (Bedroom wall, curbside)

Dragonflies are known as a favorite symbol of strength. They are a symbol of self that comes with maturity, but sometimes they are tied to dreams. Magically, the dragonfly conjures up the principles of longevity, durability and adaptability. These same principles apply in full time rv'ing.

IMG_4404

Cherry blossoms/Butterflies (driver's side between slides)

My son, Conrad, who is deceased, served in the Ceremonial Guard for the Navy in Washington D.C. This is for him.

IMG_4401

Pacific Sunset

Conrad, while serving in the Navy, took this picture from the stern of the USS Kittyhawk as it sailed on the Pacific Ocean.

IMG_4402

Rice and crawfish field w/crawfish traps

The main agricultural products from Crowley, our old hometown, are rice and crawfish. Again, just a little bit of home as we travel the byways of our Nation. (To the right in the picture just under the larger of the two windows)

AND.... ( I added them together since they are in the same picture)

Butterflies and pink flowers is the artist, Robert Baxter's addition. He has chosen the butterfly as his theme this year in his artwork.

IMG_4405

Magnolia Forest

...since we are from Louisiana, we thought we would bring a piece of home with us, it is also Louisiana's official state flower.

IMG_4406

The Lizard

The lizard is an ancient heraldic symbol signifying good luck, conservation, agility and promotes dreaming. RV'ers need all of these as they travel.

IMG_4403

A Castle Wall

....because my dear husband calls me his Princess and because on the Heartland Owner's Forum my handle is Princess Kathleen. The Shasta daisies and purple irises are my favorite. My grandmother and I used to plant daisies in our friend's flower beds. Besides it is the flower you use in "he loves me, he loves me not"...hoping that will be always end in the "he loves me", which my hubby does. The name of our fifth wheel is the "Luv Shak". The purple iris is Louisiana's official state wildflower.

IMG_4398

Vance told me that once someone chased him for fifteen miles before he finally pulled over for them and the guy wanted to take a picture of the rig. He said many hummingbirds come to the rig and try to get nectar out of the flowers.

This rig is really something to see and believe me, if you ever see this going down the road....YOU CAN'T MISS IT!

We spent this evening talking with neighbors on both sides of us. Gosh it was nice to have someone talk with us!

No comments: