Sunday, September 28, 2008

9/28/08 Back to Arizona City, Arizona

Today is the day. Today we move back to Arizona City or more specifically, Quail Run, the place we spent last winter.

We were on the road by nine and had an easy run of the 120 miles we had to go. We stopped at the local Walmart to get beer and Pepsi's and a few groceries in to get us through the next two days or so.

I stopped in at the nail salon inside Walmart where I get my nails done. Christine, the lady who did them all last year was there and she saw me right away and greeted me with a big smile and a hug. I'll be back to see her this coming week.

As we drove the last 8 miles to our winter home I had all kinds of things going through my mind. I'll be working on the activities team again and I wondered if we'll have a great group like we did last year. Will we work as well together as we did last year? Will the coordinators be as good, no, make that as great as Bruce and DeAnn were? Last year we heard over and over again, "This is the best year we've ever had here"....this years team has big shoes to fill. I've made up my mind that I'm going into this with the attitude that I'm going to be an asset to this team, I have a good idea of what worked last year and what didn't. Keep your fingers crossed for us that we've got a great team again.

We pulled in and went right to our site. We're on the same street we were on last year as per our request. Its nice knowing going in that you're friends will be here shortly.

It is blazing hot here! Again, we're in triple digits but the difference is we can't sit inside the air conditioning today, we've got to get set up. We have a screen room that attaches to our awning and we're putting it up this year for more living space. We had to get lined up just so with the cement patio and that seemed to take forever since there was no shade to stand in. Back and forth, back and forth, sometimes just moving the rig over as little as an inch. Bob, the perfectionist! I would have looked at like, "Hey, we can see the patio, its close enough!" He finally got everything right where he wanted it and we could start the set up. We just got the basics done today, enough so that we could get inside where it was starting to cool down. Mid afternoon is NOT the time to be setting up, trust me.

Shortly after we pulled in, Jeannie, the park manager, showed up in her little golf cart. After hugs, she welcomed us and asked that we come in sometime tomorrow to the office. She seemed sooooo happy, I think maybe she is glad to welcome back the winter residents.

This place is empty! There might be a half dozen rigs in the whole place. We did meet two of the three camp hosts and one couple who is going to work in Activities.

Late this afternoon there was a knock at the door. I answered and was so surprised and happy to see Sandy, our line dance instructor and Darlene standing there. Neither one of them knew we were coming back this year and they had met the couple from Activities at the pool. In talking with them they learned that they had met us, Bob and Cookie. They knew right away who they meant and came over after their swim to welcome us back.

We had homemade steak sandwiches for dinner and I settled in to watch the first episode of this years Amazing Race. There's a guy from Delaware on it this year. In fact, he is the son of the orthodontist we took Bob's son, Timmy, to for braces. I could win the game of Six Degrees of Separation from an Amazing Race participant!

After AR I went over to Sandy's to say hello to Cactus Carl. Its so good to see them again!

I'm glad we're back, I'm really glad we're back!

No comments: