Friday, June 19, 2009

6/19/2009 Even in Alaska....

We wanted to be up and out early this morning. It didn't happen and I don't know why. We were up, we just couldn't get moving for some reason. Since the place we stayed in was nothing more than a large parking lot with hookups it wasn't hard to see that we were the last ones to leave. It was ok because we didn't have all that far to travel anyway.

Now we did have one stop to make first. Hooray! American prices!

IMG_9910

Today's destination is Tok, rhymes with Coke. I think its important to tell you that because we were calling it Tok, rhymes with clock until we were corrected.

I'm got to meet one of our readers here at the Sourdough Campground. Treasa and Bill are workamping at this campground for the summer. Treasa and I have been corresponding for awhile now and I was going to finally meet her. And Bill too of course.

After we got set up and I went and knocked on Treasa's door. Did I think to bring my camera with me? Noooooo. After howdy do's and talking for awhile I made my way back to the rig only to find Bill there talking to Bob,,,but Bill didn't know who Bob was until Bob happened to mention my name and Bob didn't know who Bill was because he didn't put it together with the name Treasa I had mentioned.

Sourdough Campground has a cafe and for dinner they were offering reindeer chili served in a sourdough bread bowl and a chicken and corn chowder also served in a sour dough bread bowl. It worked for us, we now had dinner plans that didn't include the use of any of our own pots and pans.

We went over to the small cafe and sat a table (several small tables for two pushed together) and sat down next to the wall so as to leave plenty of room for others to join us. It wasn't long before another couple came in and was looking around and we asked if they would like to sit with us. Since the seating was a little tight they sat down in the chairs that would leave a place setting between us. We started discussing where we were going in Alaska and getting caught up in the excitement of each other's trips. Within minutes another couple joined our table sitting in the place settings at the other end, still leaving a gap between us and the first couple to sit. The six of us introduced ourselves, talked about full timing, Alaska, fuel prices, campgrounds and just all kinds of things. Other diners were coming in and taking seats all around us in the small cafe. A single gentleman came in and the first couple to sit with us invited him to join us. He sat down next to me and we all introduced ourselves. And that was the end of the conversation we were having as we knew it. NONE of us got a word in edgewise after this guy sat down. He knew everything, he had been everywhere, he had done everything, he had Master degrees or PHD's in everything according to him. He was a photographer and part time botanist too. He was BORING! I watched Bob's eyes glaze over as well as the man of the couple who first sat down with us.

Soon our dinners were served and I realized that we didn't have napkins. I got up to get us some and plastic ware for the last couple to sit down with us as they didn't know to get their own. I should tell you now I was wearing this sweatshirt. (Yes, yes, I jumped into the Atlantic Ocean in the month of February back in '03. What can I say, a polar bear plunge was on my bucket list, and besides, it was for charity)

IMG_0071

Because I was so bored with our own table conversation when we were finished eating, I turned around in my seat and asked the couple sitting behind me by themselves (they were sitting on the far side of the table, side by side, facing my back) where they were headed. That's all I asked. "Where are you folks headed?" The lady responded, "Are you from the east coast?" Aww c'mon, I don't have that much of an accent! I replied, "Yes, we're from Delaware." Big grins! A nudge from the husband with an "I told you so!" She said that they noticed the Happy Harry's logo (a drug store chain) and the town of Lewes named on my sweatshirt and ended this sentence with, "We're from Delaware too, only slower, lower." I just can't believe it. All the way in Alaska and we meet someone from Delaware, our home state. Well, Bill and Katie Reeves, we're pleased to meet ya! Yes, I did take a picture of these Delawareans but they both had glasses on and the flash and overhead lighting made their eyes look like laser beams were coming out of their heads so I opted not to use it here.

Before I forget, Bob raved about his reindeer chili and my chicken and corn chowder was also good. Each meal cost us $10.00 each. While it was good, I think it was a bit pricey for what you got. For ten bucks the pie should have been included with dinner instead of $3.00 a slice since there was no salad offered or a soft drink, iced tea or anything else other than water to drink.

By now its getting close to seven and we have to join the others from the campground for the daily evening Pancake Toss. This nightly game is part of Sourdough Campgrounds claim to fame. The game's host places a five gallon bucket on the low stage and from approximately twenty feet away from it the participants from the campground's guests throw pancakes (leftover from breakfast) at the bucket with hopes of getting one in. The prize? Free pancake breakfast the next morning. I'm sure the pancakes are tasty as is the reindeer sausage but even with coffee, juice, maybe even toast and possibly homefries,,,,twelve bucks a piece for breakfast is ridiculous. Neither Bob or I threw our pancakes into the bucket. No breakfast for us!

While standing there watching the pancakes sail through the air I felt this tap on my shoulder. When I turned I saw Linda, the newbie blogger I helped while we were in Whitehorse a few days before. She needed a quick refresher course in one of the functions so I went over and helped her out.

Back at home it was still early so I went for a walk in search of our fellow Delawareans. I found them two streets over and was welcomed with open arms. We sat and talked all things Delaware. Beaches and crabs and subs and home state news. Since it is so light so late none of us paid any attention to the time. I finally asked if they had the time since I didn't see a clock anywhere. Eleven thirty! OMG....where did the time go? I thought for sure Bob would think I had run away or something. This sun out till late at night is just so hard to get used to.

Tomorrow we move to Fairbanks.

No comments: