Wednesday, May 30, 2007

5/28/07 Memorial Day

When I was a kid I thought Memorial Day meant the day the beaches and amusement parks opened for the summer.

Now that I know the real meaning of this day I long for the days of my carefree youth when I didn't have to think about the true meaning. I wish this was one "holiday" we could do without, but that is not to be.

Today we honor all of those men and women, some very young, just starting their lives as adults, who gave their all for their country. Some drafted, some voluntarily enlisted, some married, some single, some who were parents and those who would never get to be parents. But always, someone's son or daughter, someone's spouse or sweetheart, someone's friend.

On this Memorial Day we honor them. We are thankful for them, thankful that we are free and it is because of them that we are.

The next time you cross paths with a member of our Armed Forces, thank them and wish them well.

You may not agree with the positions this country has been or is in now, but please, support our brave men and women of the armed services. Think where we might be without them.

If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier.

May they all rest in peace.

No comments: