Thursday, January 7, 2010

1/2 – 1/6/2009 I’m Sick of Being Sick!

Well, now we’ve both got it. It was inevitable. I don’t feel bad anymore but I’ve got this cough that just won’t stop. Bob is still in his first 48 hours so he’s feeling pretty rough.

So we haven’t done a whole lot this past week. Bob did take the rest of the lights and decorations down and I got the electric bill for our Christmas decorations. For the almost month we ran them for about 4 hours a night it cost us approximately $65.00. Not bad, not bad at all. In fact, darn cheap if you take into account all the smiles it brought to our friends faces and the Christmas spirit they instilled to all who saw them.

I haven’t been doing anything during the day except for this past Monday. I had a much needed girlfriend day with LaVon. We shopped, but didn’t buy anything and we had lunch and we talked and talked and talked. We decided that the next time we get together we’re not doing the “store thing” but will go out to lunch and then on a photo shoot. Perhaps in the desert, maybe to Old Town, possibly to one of the local small mountains. Wherever we end up we’ll be sure to have lots of laughs and take some pretty nice pictures.

I’ve been going to the Cantina every night to play cards or Mexican Train. There’s about a half dozen of us that are there every night and then a half dozen more that are there more sporadically.

About a year ago I told you about Adam Frey. He was in an auto accident and through an x-ray tumors were found and it was discovered he had cancer. He started writing a blog to document his journey and fight of a lifetime. After all, he was fighting for his life. I didn’t know this young man (20 yrs old) and don’t even remember how I found his blog but I was very much taken with him.

I think this excerpt speaks volumes about the kind of man Adam grew up to be.

At times I do look and wonder why me? Why did I get some disease that I have taken every method through healthy living to prevent? My only logical response is that the good Lord is using me to reach out to more people than I could have before. I like thinking that this gives me a purpose, and with more pondering and thinking it is becoming more clear. I hope to bring a breathe of fresh air, an inspiration, a motivation, and maybe even the lift someone may need who is doubting their own strength in this battle. I never had walked into a more bright and sunny building that had, juxtaposed, such a feeling of dread than the cancer center. Maybe I can help lighten that up a little bit.

It seemed that even during my short doctor’s visit, the nurses, staff and patients were excited to maybe see a smiling face, hear a joke, and have some joy brought into an otherwise dreadful job. I hope I can just keep the inner strength and attitude to keep that going. They say that happiness is contagious. I hope I can infect the entire place.

I’m sorry to say that Adam lost his battle with cancer on December 26th. Adam kept his inner strength and great attitude until the end. He never gave up. Rest in peace, Adam.

Have you taken notice the stat counter turned 100,000? I don’t know who it was that turned it.

Oranges are in abundance here in the park. Here’s a picture I first showed in early October.

October 6th

IMG_2465

October 31st

IMG_2583

November 29th

IMG_2700

TODAY!

IMG_3063

IMG_3062

PERFECTION!

As I write this you still have few hours left to get your comments in for the giveaway of the insulated tote bag featured on January 1st. Good Luck!

2 comments:

Janet c said...

Glad that you are starting to feel better. I've checked each day to read your blog and you hadn't been on the computer. Today it was a joy to read your blog. Sure hope both of you get to feeling much better.

LaVon Baker said...

What an inspiration Adam Frey is! God allowed him Christmas with his family and then he called him Home. Now he is perfectly healed and waiting for us to join him. Wow. Thanks for posting that, Snookie.
Tell Bob we're praying for him to get well soon. And you, too!
Love the orange progression.