Tuesday, June 16, 2009

6/14 - 6/16/2009 Whitehorse, British Columbia

We pulled out of Dease Lake this morning with Whitehorse as our destination. Oh what a ride! And what scenery! (Now I had posts written for these days but computer problems took over and I've lost all of that, you'll have to trust me that the scenery was spectacular!)

While the scenery was beautiful, I have to tell you, the roads .... well, to put it bluntly....sucked! Now we have been on washboards roads before but these were WASHBOARD ROADS! (Take note of the all caps.) The washboard sections were numerous and length of each washboardy section got longer with each one.

We have never been so glad to pull into a campground. We decided to stay in Whitehorse for two days just to get a rest from the truck. Bob from navigating steep hills, sharp curves, washboard roads and me from just sitting there, taking pictures and taking in the scenery.

As luck would have it as soon as we pulled into the campground it started raining. And it rained for two days. Nonstop. And we didn't have cable, or WIFI and attractions we would have been interested in were outdoor ones.

On Monday, I decided to pass the time I would go to the laundry room and get that out of the way. Uh-uh! No way. $5.00 per load. $2.50 to wash and $2.50 to dry and I could have done all the laundry and had four medium sized loads. Nope, I can wait, after all we still have clean towels and underwear! $5.00 to do a load of wash.. sheesh!

Monday evening I went to the computer room and met a fellow blogger who happened to be a newbie at it. I helped her get her blog set up with maps and weather stickers and a counter and showed her a few tricks of the trade. In our couple of hours together she shared with me that she and her husband were traveling with another couple. Bob and I had decided a long time ago that we wouldn't be interested in traveling with another couple or couples for a long period of time. A weekend or even a week we could do but that would be our limit I think. My new friends experience just backed up our thinking on that subject. These couples should not be traveling together. One likes to get on the road early and other likes to sleep in. One likes to eat at home and eat in a restaurant as a treat and the other wants to eat two meals a day in a restaurant,,,,everyday. One wants to stay in Walmart parking lots all the time and the other likes the running water and electricity of a campground. Oh no, this wouldn't work for us.

We woke up Tuesday morning to more pouring down rain and decided to stay yet another day. Its no fun traveling in the rain.

1 comment:

LaVon Baker said...

Why in the world would anyone want to travel together, in separate rigs? I say that because we have friends who had friends to travel with them in a Class C, no less, for about six weeks. Their report was very positive, but they were great friends and all pretty easy going. You would either be really good friends at the end of 6 weeks in a Class C or never speak to each other again. They said they laughed a lot and ended the trip the best of friends. Amazing.