Saturday, June 6, 2009

6/6/2009 The Sun Comes Up What Time?

I heard Bob get up this morning and when I opened one eye I saw that it was daylight. It was time to get the day started since we have lots on our to do list.

We were up for only a few minutes when I heard.."Oh S_ _ _! I couldn't imagine what had gone wrong already as the day was still brand new for us. Bob came into the bedroom and said, "Look at the clock." I did. It read 4:35 a.m. 4:35???? "Oh S_ _ _! Yes, the sun is up that early here now. Oh great, I'm wide awake now. Bob went to the living room to his recliner since I had turned the TV on already. He was determined to get a few more hours sleep but I'm one of those unfortunate ones that there is no going back to bed for me. Black out material is in our future for sure! Or those black eye mask thing-ees.

Sun up at 4:30, dark not until ten...oh yeah, we're getting closer to the Land of the Midnight Sun.

We made a trip to Home Depot today and while Bob was in the store I struck up a conversation with a very nice guy when I asked for directions to our next stop. We must have talked about twenty minutes in total. You just meet the nicest people by chance. Bob got the weather stripping he needed to plug up some holes to keep the mosquitoes out and then it was on to our next stop.

We stopped at the local grocery store and that was a trip in itself. Bob stayed in the truck to look at maps and I was on my own. For the first time I ran into a place where you had to "rent" your shopping cart. Insert a loonie and the cart comes free from the row it is attached to.

I was so sorry I didn't take the camera with me. They had food I had never seen before. I asked a lady what one thing was and she spent about 10 minutes with me in the veggie aisle showing me all the Canadian delicacies. Have you ever eaten a fiddlehead? It looked like a green caterpillar type bug or worm all curled into a small circle. No way would I even attempt to touch one let alone eat it. Come to find out its part of a fern plant. Its the very tip of the new growth of a fern. Its soaked in some kind of liquid and is supposed to very delish! Don't look at me, I'm not trying one! In fact, I even posted a picture of one of these things a while back. Remember this?


I was surprised to see that all the produce was listed in pounds rather than,,,,rather than,,,,well, rather than whatever Canada's unit of measure is for pounds. And guess what? The potatoes on their shelves...yep, from America! They can sell them but I can't bring in four measly.....forget, I'll only get mad all over again.

I gathered, lettuce, tomatoes, radishes, potatoes, cauliflower, carrots and some pork chops and managed to get out of the store for twenty bucks, American.

Next stop, a haircut. They do things a little differently here. Hair washing is not automatically done and you pay about four dollars more if you want it washed. I had never had a dry cut before but I was so desperate I went for it. She did in fact wet my hair with a spray bottle but it was by no means soaking wet, just barely damp. As usual, I'll like this cut in two weeks when it grows out some.

Propane. Our propane tank needed refilling and we found out that it got an air-lock and no matter what the guy did he couldn't break it. So we ended up having to buy a new tank. If its not one thing its another.

Back home, Bob got busy putting the weather stripping in place so that we don't have a repeat of last night with the mosquitoes.

I made some phone calls to friends and family, got dinner cooked, we ate, he played online poker, I wrote this, he's sleeping now and I'm almost cross-eyed since I've been up since 4:35! I wonder if it would help if I wore my sunglasses to bed?

I've got some business to take care of on here before I close this.

Note to Lou: Lou, we did get our states map at Camping World. I looked all over online for a plain one like we have but all I could find are the real colorful ones and between you and me, I like ours better.

I want to welcome Dave and Edna from Powhatan, VA as new readers. I hope you enjoy the trip with us.

Earl and Chris from Quail Run were the readers who turned the counter tonight. I know they have turned it twice already and I think they may have a third time in there. Thanks for leaving a comment our QR buddies! Yes, we'll see you this winter.

We have a reader who is in the service because we are showing an APO address on the feeder line. Welcome! Thanks for your service to our country, we appreciate it.

I'd also like to send a shout out to our loyal readers. I appreciate you coming back and taking an interest in what we're doing.

Travel day tomorrow! We're headed to Lake Burns. I'll let you know how the trip goes.

No comments: