Friday, June 5, 2009

6/5/2009 Liters & Meters & Loonies, Oh MY

Darn it gets light around here early! We were up early this morning and moving. I woke with a bad case of bed head so a shower was a must. Bob didn't hook up our sewer line so I used the showers here in the campground. There were decent and clean so I didn't mind.

I don't know why this happened but for some reason the outside doors to the bathrooms were left open over night. Can you say mosquito city? I swung my towel around and they flew out the door just like I wanted. I quickly shut the door when I thought they were all gone. Granted a few didn't make it out in time but me and a paper towel helped those stragglers to mosquito heaven. When I was done taking care of the bad case of bed head I realized that I somehow had woken the mosquito condo that must have been hidden under the sink or behind the toilet. The place was lousy with mosquitoes. Hungry mosquitoes. I could not get out of there fast enough! They dive bombed me!

We saw our first wildlife! Ok, it was only a deer, but it was a Canadian deer!

IMG_9533

We pulled over to get fuel and across the street was a little store that sold a little bit of this and a little bit of that,,,,including beer. While Bob filled the tank I strolled across the street. They had Bud Lite but I didn't see any 30 packs or any cases of 24 that were already put together. I saw a stack of cardboard beer boxes and guessed that you just had to put your own together. Its different country, what do I know? So I take my four six packs, neatly tucked into the cardboard box, and head for the counter. I'm busy looking around the shelves behind the counter, what's on the counter and not paying any attention to the cashier. Until she said, "That will be $48.35." I looked at her and chuckled and said, I didn't get these things on the counter I think you need to recalculate. She replied, "Are you from the states?" When I answered in the affirmative she said, "I didn't add in the things on the counter, its $48.35 for the beer." I just stared at her. Dumbfounded. She told me was used to the look as she gets it often. Needless to say I walked out of there with only two six packs. Canada is expensive! Cigarettes? How about $9.50 a PACK!

I looked up from the book I was reading as we headed down the road and saw this.

IMG_9527

I was so relieved when I realized that we were in Canada and that sign meant kilometers per hour and not miles. Getting fuel is another place where we get confused. We get diesel here in liters not gallons. Remember when the U.S. tried to convert to this system? We didn't like it then and I don't like it now. And now I have to deal with loonies and toonies. A loonie is a dollar coin with a picture of a loon on it, hence the name. There is also a two dollar coin and it is nicknamed a toonie.

We pulled over for a rest stop and I took this picture of a dandelion gone to seed. I don't know why, I just felt compelled to.

IMG_9534

Then I thought...Oh heck, take the whole group. They're weeds but then nothing is safe from this camera lens.

IMG_9535

The rest of our trip to Prince George went without a hitch and just outside of our campground I saw this old barn. I just had to get this picture.

IMG_9536

Tonight we're in Bee Lazee Campground in Prince George. Its a Good Sam park which gives us 10% off the $25.00 nightly fee for full hookups. It has level pull-thru sites, a heated pool, a clean laundry room ($1.50 each, wash/dry) but I didn't see the showers, the staff is very friendly and it's an easy access park. I would recommend this to anyone traveling north.

We decided we're going to stay here two nights as we have some maintenance things to take care of, fresh veggies to stock up on, laundry to do and I need a haircut. Desperately.

We don't know how they got in but the 5th wheel was overrun with mosquitoes! These things are so big you can see their wings flap! When you swat them, they are so fast that you miss, end of story. Then they hang in the air in front of you, just hovering, and stick their little mosquito thumbs up to their little mosquito noses and thumb ya! All the while in their little mosquito voices singing, neener, neener, neener! What was God thinking when he made these?

1 comment:

Earl&Chris Chandler said...

Earl and Chris from Ar turned the counter tonight. We are enjoying your travels and hope to see you in Az this winter. Have a beer for Earl, Bob.