Tuesday, May 19, 2009

5/19/2009 Rainy Day in Oregon

Rain, rain, go away....

I guess it really didn't make any difference if it rained or not today since we haven't unhooked the truck from the rig and we aren't going anywhere anyway. I guess if we really wanted to go sightseeing we could, but you know, when you are towing 35 feet of recreational vehicle behind you it doesn't really lend itself to zipping into a quick parking space to check out a monument or something like that. In light of that we opted to stay put.

It was kind of a boring day, the blog was caught up, wasn't much on TV, I had a new book but it isn't one that grabbed my attention right away so reading wasn't high on my list of things to do either. What to do. What to do. Well, we could always go over to the lodge and hang out at the bar...... I know, I know, those of you reading this who really KNOW me are saying to yourselves, "Sit in bar? Snookie?" You see, I don't drink and unless there's music playing and dancing going on or tons of people I know to talk to...well, I just don't get this whole attraction of sitting in a bar for hours on end drinking beer or whatever, not knowing a soul in the place. That is just so not me. Bob yes, Me no. Aha! That wasn't the case this time though. We had already met the bartender yesterday when we went in to register and our walls were starting to close in and I did want to get some pictures.... so off we went.

I took this one picture of a particular wall in the foyer because I think it a good idea that I want to pass on if YOUR lodge or organization is looking to raise some money for a building fund or really for whatever reason.

IMG_8921

This lodge used this wall as a fundraiser, in fact, while we were sitting there at the bar one of the members came in and bought a center square.

Each center square is $75.00 and the "edge pieces" are $25.00 a piece. You can have whatever you want inscribed in your square. Some people bought "In Memory Of" squares, some local business bought squares, members bought them to show their support. All in all they raised a nice chunk of change and are still raising money for their cause.

IMG_8923

I took some pictures of the lodge itself.

The bar area.

IMG_8925

Of course, every lodge staple, THE ELK!

IMG_8924

The view from one of the windows.

IMG_8927

They have a game room and a large ball room plus the offices, kitchen, meeting room and storage areas. I didn't get to see the ball room because it was downstairs. Back in the day when this lodge outgrew its facility, instead of building in another site they just built on a second floor. It was a lot less expensive that way we were told.

So we sat and talked with Bob, the Exalted Ruler, who once again was pulling bartending duty. We got to talking about living so close to the beach and fun it must be for the kids in the area. That's when he dropped the bomb on me. Note: I LOVE the beach! The beach doesn't really mean anything around here to the people other than its nice to look at because the water temperature never gets above 40 degrees. Well, what's the point of living here then???? Average temperature of the air is 60, water temperature is never over 40....I mean really, do YOU get it?

I lasted about a whole hour and then I had to get back home. I got dinner started and 45 minutes later Bob walked through the door just as everything was finishing up cooking. The man has timing!

The evening brought TV and my favorite on Dancing with the Stars won. Hooray for Shawn!

This is a day in the life of full timers when it rains and you don't have wheels!

No comments: