Friday, May 8, 2009

5/8/2009 And the Plans Change Yet Again...

Yep, the ol' plans changed again. Bob didn't sleep at all last night due to a tooth that has been bothering him. I've been hearing about this tooth for awhile now and knew the day, or should I say "night" was coming when it would just make him miserable. The day, er, night has arrived!

I called over to the Dental Clinic to see if, first of all, was he even eligible to be seen. We haven't used the system as yet for anything other than prescriptions so we weren't really sure. We had our fingers crossed because I'm sure it could have posed a problem being seeing by a civilian doctor on such short notice. And it would be expensive! Anyway they called us right back and said that the day was filled but to come over at noon to see if there were any cancellations and if there wasn't they could/would take him at 4, after hours.

My next task was to extend our stay here. We are now on a day by day basis because we don't know what's going to happen yet, will Bob be able or want to drive tomorrow to our friends home? We just don't know.

I then called Karen to let her know what was going on. Luckily, her and Bob are very flexible so the change in plans didn't matter all that much to them.

We were called again at 11 and told to come over at noon for an x-ray. While he was getting that done I drove over the base post office to see if our forwarded mail had arrived. It did, which means my SnappCapps are here! Oh happy day! I even took the time to set them up in a nice display for you!

IMG_8386

I'm so glad they arrived. This means I can buy the less expensive cases of cans now and drink them like a bottle. I'll get used to the can taste I'm sure. Now these will be just fine and dandy until the first time one of them breaks loose from the can and I end up with Pepsi all down the front of me. NOT the kind of blog material I'm looking for.

Now, friends of Bob who are reading this....don't let this next picture upset you. I had to practically write it in blood that I would make it perfectly clear that the following was NOT his idea. Got that? THIS IS ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY NOT BOB'S IDEA, HE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT! HE WILL NEVER IN HIS LIFETIME DO THIS! HE CRINGES AT THE MERE THOUGHT OF IT! But I don't have any cans of Pepsi's yet so I have no choice. I just wanted to show you what it will look like. Actually, it fits very snuggly so I don't think it will "pop off" in mid sip.

IMG_8389

Back to our day.

Ex-ray done and not finding any cancellations we just hung out at the rig waiting for 4 p.m. but we didn't have to wait that long. We got called again at two and were asked to come over then, they had an opening. I had errands to run so I dropped him off and went to the post office where I mailed some letters and a package to a friend back home. (I can hear you now girlfriends, "Oh I wonder if its me?" If you don't have a package from me by Wednesday, then it wasn't you....this time)

Post office errand done it was time for a visit to the Class VI store. Ah, for you civilians, that's the liquor store, the keepers of the beer.

From there I went back to the Base Exchange. We had seen something in there the other day that caught Bob's eye but he didn't buy it. Since he was feeling so lousy today I went back to get it for him, a little pick me up if you will. This signifies the unit Bob was in when he served in Viet Nam and first time we've seen these.

IMG_8385

I went and topped off the fuel tank after that and only paid $2.17 for diesel. Its some twenty cents more per gallon off post. Ahhhh,,,another one of those bennies we love so much! We aren't usually able to get diesel on base so this is a real treat.

I went back to get Bob at the Dental Clinic only to be told he wasn't there but in the hospital in Oral Surgery. Whoa,,,this is worse than I thought it was.

I found my way to the right floor and right wing....finally...only to be told he left! I had missed him by 3 minutes. He was wandering the halls or the grounds looking for me and I'm looking for him. I remembered I had my cell phone with me and called to find out where he was. He answered and didn't have a clue. I, too, was lost and didn't have a clue where I was! After several wrong turns I got back to the parking lot and called him again. He found his way outside but was on the other side of the hospital. Eventually he found the parking lot and I felt so bad for him. Here his mouth is stuffed with gauze because they did have to pull that bad tooth and its hot outside and he's lost....Well, you get the idea.

The dentist told him he shouldn't have any pain at all, it was a "clean pull" and he should be fine by tomorrow. We'll stay here one more day just to be sure and move on to our friend's on Sunday.

This will give us a chance to make one more Commissary run and stock up on some things. We had planned on doing this and hadn't gotten around to it. See, everything happens for a reason.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just remember to wipe off the top of the can before drinking -- cockroach footprints, you know.