Thursday, May 28, 2009

5/28/2009 HOORAY! Shorts Weather!

There was no doubt this morning when we got up on how to dress today. The sun was shining brightly, the birds were chirping, there was a spring to our step and it was twenty,,,yes twenty,,,degrees warmer than what we were used to! Where are my shorts????? Ahhhh...summer again.

We had things to do today. We had to make arrangements for our final mail delivery before we reach Alaska. We'll be on the move too much through Canada to stay in any one place long enough to get mail. At least that's the plan, barring any unforeseen, unplanned for, emergencies, breakdowns, etc.. Keep your fingers crossed for us that none of those things happen of course. So our mail should be Saturday, Monday at the latest. We're hoping for Saturday because we'd like to get on the road Monday but if its Tuesday, then its Tuesday. We'll deal with it. We're in a pleasant, inexpensive place so what's one more night?

Bob was busy this afternoon as he rearranged things once again in our basement area. I guess since we've been on the road for the past six weeks things have gotten moved and they don't always get put back where they belong. We are carrying two portable grills with us which is just dumb on our part. He made lots of room again and that's a good thing. Always a good thing. We decided to give up the grill we know we're never go to use. It was old, rusty and since our friends Bob and Karen gave us a stainless steel one they had no use for...well, the space was important to us.

IMG_9143

Since we're here in McChord and we have access to the Commissary we are going to do a super-duper shopping before we cross the border into Canada. From reading blogs of those who have gone before us I know that groceries are very expensive in Alaska. So we're stocking up now. I took everything out of our pantry closet today and sorted and counted and wrote what we need. We're going to be gone a minimum of 14 weeks so I want to get as much as we possibly can.

IMG_9135

While I was slaving away in the house I thought Bob was doing the same outside. I went out to ask him something and found this.

IMG_9137

He woke up when I kicked him and I got this shot. I call it...

OUR flag, MY man, HIS beer

IMG_9138

He just loves his new chair!

He was still outside at 4:30 when I heard "retreat" and I thought uh-oh, he's outta that chair now and sure enough when I went to the door I saw this during the playing of retreat....

IMG_9139

...and this when the Star Spangled Banner started.

IMG_9140

He came in a short while later and got his bag of peanuts and he took a bucket from the "basement" for the shells. It wasn't too much later and I heard "I wondered how long it was going to take you to get here". He was talking to his new buddy the squirrel. I heard him laughing and went out to find out what was so funny. He said that he had been throwing the squirrel the peanuts and he would scamper away holding it in his mouth and find the perfect place to bury it. He would lay it down, and dig furiously with his front paws, put the peanut in the hole, cover it and tamp it down for safekeeping. Of course it made a beeline back to Bob in hopes of another handout. Little did the squirrel know that walking and waiting right behind him while he worked so hard to hide his bounty was a big ol' black crow that took the little squirrels treasure just as fast he buried it. Time after time after time. Here's the little fella that kept Bob entertained.

IMG_9141

Here's a pic of the loop we're in. Such a nice FamCamp!

IMG_9142

This little squirrel likes salsa chips too!

IMG_9145

Tomorrow we're going to downtown Seattle to check out the Space Needle and the famous Pike Place Market along with everything else Seattle has to offer. We plan on using the Gray Line bus service. They are double decker buses that we can get on and get off at will all day long. It's suppose to be sunny and 80 tomorrow so it should be a great day!

I'll "take you to Seattle" when we get back.

Before I close, here's something to give you a chuckle.

A cardiologist died and was given an elaborate funeral. A huge heart covered in flowers stood behind the casket during the service. Following the eulogy, the heart opened, and the casket rolled inside. The heart then closed, sealing the doctor in the beautiful heart forever.

At that point, one of the mourners burst into laughter. When all eyes stared at him, he said, 'I'm sorry, I was just thinking of my own funeral.........I'm a gynecologist.'

The proctologist fainted.

3 comments:

Peggy & Bill said...

Several days comments in one:
1. Yes, I've been ready to get in a shower at Grand Canyon - everything there with me except quarters! Oh ya, Bill was in the men's part - I had to yell from outside the door to get money from him!
2. Washington is beautiful WHEN the sunshines! We didn't see it very often when we were their either & it was August. I don't think I ever put shorts on!
3. Glad Bob loves his chair! I'm probably going to have to replace mine soon after 2 winters in the AZ sun.
4. Pictures are beautiful! Sounds like you are enjoying it all! Love being on the journey with you.

Bill and Treasa said...

Enjoy the warm while you can. We are currently in Whitehorse, YT on our way to Alaksa. It is rainy and COLD. Some of the lakes in the mountain passes are still frozen.

LaVon Baker said...

I must say that pictures of Bob are great here! Great!
Wish you could meet my neice while in the Seattle area. She lives in Mill Creek. And even watch Ben play baseball. He's a salty player as Don describes him.