Thursday, May 21, 2009

5/21/2009 We Have Hit the Mother Lode!

Oh. My. Gosh. You should see the place where we are now. We're in Pacific Beach, Washington at the Pacific Beach RV Resort & Conference Center. A Naval facility.

The RV Park is on a bluff overlooking the ocean. Now I don't want to give the impression that we look out our window and see nothing but beach and water because that isn't the case. Since we are on a bluff, trees/shrubs/bushes have been planted to keep the soil in place and they have grown up. BUT if they didn't, then yes we would have a ocean view site. Of course without the trees/shrubs/bushes keeping the soil in place we would undoubtedly be at sea level because the cliff would give way. I'll settle for being able to see just this from my kitchen window.

IMG_8966

IMG_8967

IMG_8968

We can walk down to the beach access nearby to our site.

There is a restaurant here called the Windjammer with very reasonably priced meals all of which seem to include large prawns one way or another. Well, not all of them but most of them. They deliver too. There is also a bar with large windows on the ocean side for sunset viewing at its best. Live music on weekends.

We also have a fully equipped gym available to us, a sauna, a huge, HUGE hot tub, nightly free movies, no charge use of the latest DVD's, a coffee bar in the gift shop, the use of bikes and a four lane bowling alley complete with a pool table and foosball. All for $20.00 a night. We love military retirement!!!

I'll have pictures of everything tomorrow. One drawback today is the wind, it is incredibly windy today. It isn't too bad I guess because today is our lay back day anyway. I used the day to catch up on our laundry, something I haven't done since our days in Travis Air Force Base, even before we went to Bob and Karen's. We were down to the clothes we seldom wear, that's how bad it was.

There is one bad thing about this place. Probably not bad for other people, but bad for us. There is no sewer hookup. We're using paper plates and plastic ware so we don't have to wash dishes and fill the gray water tank. Tonight we had filet mignon for dinner, something we rarely have. It somehow seemed sacrilegious eating such a fine cut of beef off of Dixie plates but it saved us from having to wash a plate and using the water so we did. I never knew a sewer line would mean so much to me! We're doing the shower thing in the bath house and going there to use the "bathroom facilities". Now that wouldn't be bad at all but I have joined the ranks of mature adults that can't make it through the night without getting up to pee. I was going to try to be diplomatic about that but the hell with it, it is what it is. I am not going outside at 3 a.m. to go to the bathroom. So we're using our own facilities, sparingly. We would hate to have to pack everything up to move 100 yards to empty the tanks then come back and set up all over again. That said, we are going to be here a week so I'm sure we'll packing up to move a hundred yards. You can bet on it.

We did take a quick walk to the main building today just to get the lay of the land and pick up brochures for area attractions. We're going to be taking you to a castle!

So yes, we're going to be here a week. I see you cringing now at the thought of hundreds of pictures of blue Pacific surf pounding the rocks at the bottoms of the cliffs. I have a feeling you are going to see so many pictures of surf pounded rocks that by the end of the week your eyes are going to bleed. So get yourself ready to having to endure pictures of crystal blue water, blue skies, puffy white clouds and I'm sure I can find plenty of flowers to take close up pictures of. Oh yeah, its going to be a helluva week!

When we leave here we're going to ...oh wait, I'm not tellin' ya yet.

3 comments:

LaVon Baker said...

3:00 AM, eh? Welcome to my world!

Tom and Sharon said...

Unfortunately the Pacific NW beaches are windy when it is clear and sunny. Glad you enjoy the waves crashing on the rocks and the awesome seafood. You can't beat Dungeness crab for taste! It is great to experience the coast through your new eyes as we grew up with it and consider it as the usual. What has caught your attention the most? Be sure to buy a kite to fly. That is one of the beach rituals for those of us who go there often.

Snookie said...

LaVon,,,trust me my friend, I was NOT up at 3 a.m. I don't know where that time came from but it is NOT accurate!