Monday, May 4, 2009

5/4/2009 We're Headin' North

We were on the road this morning at a respectable 9:30. As you know we try travel only between 9 and 3, Monday thru Thursday. Our destination today was Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield, CA.

Have I mentioned that I think of California as the land of orange roofs? Everywhere we go we see them. I have to admit, this is first time we've seen a completely orange house! And an oddly shaped one at that.

IMG_8272

We had to travel through San Francisco to get to Travis.

IMG_8275

As we were traveling through the town I couldn't help but notice the houses along the main thoroughfare. Single family homes for the most part but what struck me was no two were alike in construction and what really stood out was the colors of the homes. No two, side by side, were the same color. We saw a blue one next to a yellow one next to a tan one next to a green one next to a....well you get the idea.

IMG_8279

And it just wasn't this part of the street where I took the picture. It was block after block after block.

Soon we saw the sign I was looking for!

IMG_8276

I have so been looking forward to seeing this famous bridge. Not that I have a thing for bridges or anything but c'mon, its the GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE. Certainly one of the most photographed bridges in the world. We actually went about 50 miles out of our way so that we could drive over it while towing the 5th wheel.

As we got closer I sat on the edge of my seat, well, as much as my seat belt would allow me to, camera ready to snap picture after picture of this 1.7 mile bridge.

Well, it didn't happen. Here's why.

IMG_8282

It was completely enveloped in FOG! Talk about disappointment! Fifty freakin' miles out of our way to see FOG! I was able to snap a few pics but nothing like I had planned!

IMG_8283

I so wanted to have pictures of this beautiful red bridge against a brilliant blue sky. Instead I got this.

IMG_8284

What really surprised us was the foot traffic and bicycle riders on the bridge.

IMG_8285

Yep, I was really disappointed with the picture taking.. uh... the lack thereof I guess I should say.

IMG_8287

We'll be going back to the bridge later this week. The weather is supposed to clear and I want to take the time to actually stop and go into the visistor's center and even walk a little bit of the bridge. We may never come this way again and I want to experience the bridge.

Here's a picture I snapped as we came off the bridge, you can see the fog just hanging in the air.

IMG_8291

On the way to Travis, we once again traveled through a Valley of the Grape.

IMG_8296

We arrived at Travis Air Force Base around 2:30. We should have arrived about 45 minutes earlier but in true Quinn fashion we got off track there for a little bit and made an unexpected side trip due to a wrong turn. Hey, its part of the adventure, we don't have to be anywhere at any special time.

The office was closed when we arrived but a list of available sites was posted. We picked one close the office and laundry room and ice machine. This Fam Camp, what military RV parks are known as, is just beautiful! So green, every site has an actual lawn and they are all manicured perfectly. I'll be sure to get some pictures tomorrow. We're here for a week and have lots of sightseeing to do.

More later....

1 comment:

LaVon Baker said...

Thanks for the Happy Anniversary call! Glad you are staying in the area for a week and pray that you will be able to get good pictures of the Golden Gate bridge, even though I really do like the one in the fog.
BTW, we saw an "elk sign" on the hiway earlier and a few minutes later Don said, "Elk! There they are!!" And I looked up and said, "No, no, Snookie, those are cows." :-)