Wednesday, May 27, 2009

5/27/2009 We Moved!

We got on the road today around 9:30 and headed north. Well, I guess northeast. We are in Holiday Park FamCamp in McChord Air Force Base. We're about 25 miles from Seattle and even closer to Tacoma.

Pacific Beach. We had a love/hate feeling about the last place we were in. We loved it and yet couldn't wait to leave at the same time. I spoke to soon when I said we hit the mother lode. Yes, it was a great place to visit and would be a great place to spend a week. In August. NOT in May. We had only one day in the week we were there where the thermometer reached sixty degrees. Memorial Day weekend and we were in jeans and sweatshirts. For us, that is unheard of! We spend every Memorial Day at the beach, just as we did this year, but we are used to fishing or tanning the day away.

Wind. It was always windy there. A cold wind off the ocean. Windy, except when it was raining/drizzly then nary a leaf moved. Like a I said, a great place to go to in AUGUST!

I did get over to the bowling alley, Rainbow Lanes, and checked it out. Just four lanes, that's all.

IMG_9123

I also stopped at the little outlook post that they just built to get a look at the view. There were no rocks for the surf to crash on. No ones eyes bled this week like I promised.

IMG_9122

The Castle I wanted to show you. It was just bought and turned into a bed and breakfast. I just couldn't win for losing this week.

In between raindrops on our last full day we managed to update our States Map. Its really getting filled in.

IMG_9118

IMG_9119

I think I had told you that we were using the park facilities for showers and the bathrooms during the daytime. Well, Tuesday morning I went over to get my shower. I got all my stuff together....Shampoo - check, Soap - Check, Hairbrush - Check, Toothpaste/brush - Check, Jeans - Check, Socks - Check, Underwear - Check, Fuzzy Sweatshirt - Check, Lotion - Check, Deodorant - Check. Ok, I'm ready to go. I had the whole place to myself since almost everyone had already gone home from the long weekend. Plenty of hot water, it was great. Until. Until I was done. Do you see what is missing from list of things to take? How about a towel? I mean what do you do? I was going to use my sweatshirt but if you noticed I even described it as a fuzzy sweatshirt,,,fleece, not a great thing to dry with. So, soaking wet I put my robe back on. Ewwww, I didn't like doing that. My robe isn't terry cloth or even cotton, I don't even know what this material is to tell you the truth but it is not conducive to being worn when the person wearing it is soaking wet! It was the longest walk I ever had back to the 5th wheel. Does this stuff happen to everyone or just me?

I'll be so glad to get a sewer line again!

One good thing came out of all this, we learned that we can indeed go a week without dumping our tanks if we are careful and use paper plates and are really aware of the water we're using.

So we pulled out this morning and started on our way towards Seattle. On the way we took notice of some of the names of towns we went through. My favorite was Humptulip which was very close to where we were staying. There was Humptulip River, Humptulip Avenue and of course the town itself. That is one of the strangest names we've heard. I googled the town and found out the name means "chilly area". Oh yeah, that's true!

I noticed on the Feedjit line that I've been getting readers from another blog called skippymom.blogspot.com. I went over to check it out and sure enough she has this blog listed on her list of ones she likes. Thank you! I tried to leave a comment on your blog but it wouldn't let me. Let me know how to get in touch with you. Please.

ADAM FREY. Have any of you been following this young man's story? I saw the story in the news and went to his blog to read more. What an incredible story! This twenty three year old was in a car accident just one year ago March. From the pictures of the SUV he was driving there is no way he should have walked away. But he did. Unscathed. He called his friend to come get him and complained of his neck hurting. Just to be on the safe side he went to the hospital for an x-ray. Well, there was no damage to his neck or spine just a mild case of whiplash. And then the doctor's told him. He had tumors on his lungs, his liver and his kidney. Cancer. Stage III. Being in excellent shape as a wrestler for Cornell University and always health conscious, he was able to beat this terrible disease down to nothing in less time than first thought, with less chemo than planned for and he kept training the whole time. At least that's how it went the first time. I strongly urge you read his story. You will root him on, you'll cry for him, you'll pray for him and you'll cry some more. He doesn't bore you with all kinds of medical terminology (but there is some of course) and details but instead he takes you along his journey giving his insight as only a twenty three old with cancer facing death could. You can find Adam's blog HERE. Scroll down the page and click on March 2008. Its an easy read and will take you no more than 2 hours or so to get up to date on it. You won't be sorry. (make sure you read the posts in order, you'll have to scroll down to the bottom of the page and work up)

So we pulled into the FamCamp here in McChord around two and got set up and ready to enjoy our stay here.

IMG_9131

The campground is wooded with mature trees and well cared for. This is the road in to our loop.

IMG_9133

All set up.

IMG_9134

This is a large base, home to the 62nd Airlift Wing, so we have a Commissary and large Base Exchange at our disposal along with all the other services/recreation that other large bases have. Our campsite here is $13.00 a night, the best yet.

We've got two full days of sightseeing planned so far so you'll get to see some of area.

Now as a public service to our readers I'm putting this out there. The CDC (Center for Disease Control) has just put an ALERT out and I'm letting you know about in case you've missed it.


The CDC has issued a medical alert about a highly contagious, potentially dangerous virus that is transmitted orally, by hand, and even electronically. This virus is called Weekly Overload Recreational Killer (WORK).

If you receive WORK from your boss, any of your colleagues or anyone else via any means whatsoever - DO NOT TOUCH IT!!! This virus will wipe out your private life entirely. If you should come into contact with WORK you should immediately leave the premises.

Take two good friends to the nearest liquor store and purchase one or both of the antidotes - Work Isolating Neutralizer Extract (WINE) and Bothersome Employer Elimination Rebooter (BEER). Take the antidote repeatedly until WORK has been completely eliminated from your system.

You should immediately distribute this medical alert to five friends. If you do not have five friends, you have already been infected and WORK is, sadly, controlling your life.

More tomorrow!

I've done my duty.

3 comments:

Lou Schmitt said...

Snookie, do you remember where you purchased your States visited map? (the one on your RV). All I can find is the one Camping World sells.
We got another month of workamping here in the Texas hill country and the we all off to the northwest. Hope to see some of the sites you have been showing us.

Wendy and Rick Fury said...

Thanks for the warning! I would not want to get that dreaded disease. Your park looks great and you can't beat the price. Enjoy. Hope it warms up for you.

LaVon Baker said...

We've been gone for 3 days and I'm behind. Need to be writing and posting, but I'm having too much fun getting caught up reading! Shower... no towel. You crack me up!!!