Wednesday, December 9, 2009

12/9/2009 The REAL Chicken of the Sea

I didn’t do much of anything today. Bob, on the other hand was busy putting up more lights.

We did have to make a run to town for another string of icicles. We thought we had no casualties from the storm, and in fact it may not be storm related, but a small section of a string isn’t lighting. Of course its on a string that goes right across the front of the house so there is no choice but to replace it.

Our first stop was Home Depot, hoping we could get the lights there rather than having to brave the Walmart parking lot. They had the lights but only an 10 foot string and we need 15. Next stop was right next door to Lowe’s. They had the right length but the lights weren’t exactly the same as what we already have up. No choice but to go to Walmart.

We found a parking place waaayyy out in nowhere land in hopes that a runaway cart won’t find our doors or fenders. The parking lot was a zoo! So we get inside, find the right lights in the right length and make our way to the other end of store so I can pick up a loaf of bread and head of lettuce. Oh how I wish I had had my camera with me or at the very least my cell phone so I could take pictures. You’ve all seen these people, you wonder what in the hell are they thinking going out in public dressed as they are. Do these people not own mirrors? I saw a half a dozen people today that I could have snapped pictures of and submitted to the People of Walmart website. Haven’t visited that site yet? Oh, the sights you will see, click HERE. Bet ya can’t stop at page one. Bet ya have to go through all the pages!

Back at home, Bob replaced the broken string of lights, added lights to the cactus and tweaked some others.

Here’s our first really dark outside picture of the light display.

IMG_2896

…..and he’s still NOT done! Bob is getting lots of compliments on his work.

Bob cooked dinner tonight. He made us deep fried halibut, french fries and green beans. This was my first experience with halibut. I am not a fish eater. (except tuna fish mixed with mayo, onion, salt and pepper spread between two pieces of white bread) Well, it tasted like chicken. I’m not kidding one bit. I had been told that time and time again when we were in Alaska and darn if it doesn’t. I was simply amazed. Halibut really is the chicken of the sea. So now I eat tuna and halibut.

Friends, Wilf and Marilyn stopped by for a visit this evening. They’ll be leaving this coming this weekend, flying home to Canada for Christmas and they are concerned about the weather they are going home to. Its waaayyyyy below zero!

While I am typing this the news is on the television. I wasn’t really paying attention to the news that is on but then I heard WILMINGTON, DELAWARE mentioned. Our hometown! It seems as though Delaware has gotten an abundance of rain and the streets of downtown Wilmington were flooded so badly that people were moved from the downtown area in boats and it made the news here in Arizona. I’ve been reading a lot of entries on Facebook by friends back home about wanting the rain to stop, and when is the sun going to come out again, but I had no idea it was raining that much.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring.

3 comments:

KarenInTheWoods said...

Wow.. Bob's lights are looking fantastic! I bet your lights are the beacon of the park!

LaVon Baker said...

We drove by Tues. night, but your lights weren't on. I was going to take a picture and post it on my blog. The picture looks beautiful!

LaVon Baker said...

Another comment... I think there are people (loose use of the word)now know about the Wal-Mart people website and dress that way to hopefully get on the website. Talk about attention deficit.