Wednesday, December 30, 2009

12/26-30/2009 A Week’s Worth

Have you caught what’s going around yet? Well, I’ve had my share of it and it isn’t fun and it’s not gone yet!

It all started with what I thought was going to be a sinus infection. Before bed I took 2 Tylenol or Bayer or whatever it was I grabbed out of the medicine cabinet. Then I spent the next 48 hours in bed. I coughed, I wheezed, I went through entire box of Puffs and started on the next and in between the coughing and wheezing I slept. I had no appetite but I forced myself to eat. It was a miserable 48 hours.

Now I admit it, I am a wuss. In fact, I’ll even go as far as saying I’m a Wuss with a capital W. What makes me say this? I say this because even I know what I go through to take Nyquil is a step to the extreme. I mean I really have to psyche myself up for this. First and foremost, it has to be CHERRY flavor. If only the green stuff was available I’d hack my brains out all night instead. I get the shivers just thinking about the taste of that vile stuff. Ok, so I get the cherry poison flavored medication out and carefully, very carefully, measure into the HUGE cup (2 TBS) that comes with the bottle. I make very sure that I DO NOT pass the line in the cup for the dosage. I do not want one more drop of this stuff than I have to have. To tell the truth, I have been known to fill the cup a smidgen BELOW the line. Ok, its poured. Now I stand at the sink and pray. Now during this prayer I ask God to make this stuff to really, really taste like cherry when I chug-a-lug this two tablespoonfuls of horrid liquid. While I’m praying for Him to perform this miracle for me I figure I might as well thank Him for the people and things in my life. My list goes on and on and on, anything to prolong the time. Ok, it’s now about an hour and twenty minutes later and I realize that even He doesn’t really care that I’m thrilled with the opportunity I had to get one of the free pens that New Image Hair & Nail Salon brought to the park, free for the taking. I tell myself ITS TIME! I take the stance, yes, make no mistake about it, there is a stance which one takes. It’s feet shoulder width apart, bending slightly at the waist so that one is over the sink, dosage cup of the red stuff that you hope God performed a miracle on in your left hand and a chaser in your right. Now my personal preference for a Nyquil chaser is my drink of choice,,,,PEPSI. Now the count begins. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight,,,,,oh yeah, count of three. One, two, two and a quarter, two and a half,,,,,,THREE! Eyes squeezed shut, you throw your head back and pour! All one gulp here, it goes down, you have a full body shiver and a look on your face like you just drank castor oil. I’ve never tasted castor oil but I’m betting its safe to equate the two. As the left arm is being lowered the right is coming up with the chaser. Then comes the sound. That sound that comes from deep within you. Its a cross between a pirate’s AAARRRGGGHHHH and a cornered pit bull’'s growl. One more full body shiver and its done. Twenty minutes later, I’m sound asleep because things that “may make you drowsy” put me out like a light.

I started feeling better on day three and had to get out of this house. So the evening time brought a game of Hand & Foot in the Cantina with friends.

At this point in time, I still have IT and I’m trying to determine if this is going into pneumonia. I’ve had it twice already and I’m feeling very much like I did the last two times. I’m having difficulty with breathing again and there is no humidity to blame it on this time around. I’ll give it to Monday and if this is still settled in my chest then a doctor’s visit is inevitable. I hope he or she doesn’t need a CORE TEMPERATURE from me. (Barb, I just know you are laughing!)

So what else has been going on these past days?

Christmas. We had a nice Christmas with having dinner in the Carvnaval Room with a lot of the other park residents. The park owners provided turkeys and hams and the residents each signed up for whatever side they wanted to bring. Since we were to bring a hot veggie to feed eleven (we sit at tables of 22) I steamed up fresh broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. Personally, I don’t know that I want to do this type of dinner again next year. We’re supposed to eat at four but by the time the announcements and grace get done our hot dishes are past their prime heat and on the way to lukewarm. I think I’d rather cook a turkey at home and have another couple in to join us for dinner.

Remember our Christmas lights? Put up in part for participation in the Christmas Decorating contest here in the park?

IMG_2901

…..and even the night that Bob had our truck all lit up.

IMG_2983

The winner of the contest was announced right before dinner.

Bob didn’t win. We knew before the first string of lights was even plugged in that he wouldn’t but we still hoped. Without going into detail we’ll just leave it that park politics came into play. We had a lot of people come up to us afterward and say that they felt Bob should have won but they too knew there wasn’t a snowball’s chance in hell that he would.

Now that isn’t to say the couple that did win didn’t have a nice display, they did. Sharon and Jim decorated their house very nicely indeed and we congratulate them on winning the contest. I talked to Jim a few days later and they were surprised they won because they thought Bob would/should have taken first place.

IMG_2921

Oddly enough, there weren’t even “honorable mentions” given this year as in years past.

Other than Christmas and being sick, Bob taking the lights down and trip to town for some needed groceries, there really hasn’t been all that much going on.

Bob and I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!

No comments: