Friday, April 8, 2011

4/8/2011 Coronado National Memorial

We so needed to get out of the house today. We’ve been inside for two days now due to high winds. How bad were they, you ask? Well, let me tell you. At one point, I was sitting at the dining table and Bob was at the desk, a gust of wind came and just had our 5th wheel rockin’ and rollin’, so much so that our recliner chairs shook. I was a bit concerned about the wind and can only imagine what it would have been like if we didn’t have some protection from the mountains right behind the section of the post we were in.


So we took a ride to the Coronado National Monument. You can read all about it HERE if you wish.


We were certainly glad to be out in the sunshine again.


IMG_8067


The golden hue of the grass was such a contrast to the dark mountains in the background the further south we went.


IMG_8068


Explorers in the 1600’s thought there was gold here,,,I can understand why.


IMG_8070


We stopped to watch some horses play.


IMG_8073


We finally arrived at the park.


IMG_8075


As we drove in we couldn’t help but notice all the Border Patrol vehicles around,,,tucked in between trees, just watching.


It didn’t take us long to figure out why. See the horizontal black line in the middle of the picture below? That’s the fence, or wall, between the United States and Mexico.


IMG_8079


This area has high border breach statistics associated with it. Now all the Border Patrol made sense. I’ll tell ya, that is one job I would not want. I can’t imagine sitting all day long watching, They have to have the longest work days ever.


A going down the road scene.


IMG_8081


Huge dust storm out in the field.


IMG_8083


We took a ride down to the border, but decided not to go across.


IMG_8084


It was nice to get in the sunshine today and to see something different than our four walls.


When we left this area we went to Bisbee, an old mining town. We stopped at Safeway and I noticed that they had salsa on sale buy one, get one free. I had never heard of the brand before and there was a fella stocking shelves nearby. I asked if he had ever tried it before and he said he hadn’t and told me that there was one that I should really try. It was also his personal favorite. He assured me he wasn’t trying to push Safeway brand, you know, with him being the store manager and all. My eyes went immediately to his name tag and sure enough he was the store manager. He took a jar off the shelf, grabbed a bag of salsa chips and gave them to me with a, “Have at it, try it.” Was he serious? You bet he was! He got a basket for the chips and opened the jar for me and said enjoy! Well, let me tell you, Safeway’s Pineapple and Peaches Salsa is to die for! I bought a jar and its already half gone. Try it, you won’t be sorry!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

That peach pineapple salsa is my fav too. What a nice guy to open the bag and share. Totally different out that way than it is in the unfriendly East. (Don't mean to offend, I was born and raised out here in the East) Get away from the East and people are really friendly!