Friday, July 13, 2012

7/13/2012 Triskaidekaphobia

(Rehoboth Beach, DE)


Triskaidekaphobia – fear of Friday the 13th. After today, I may be a believer.


You just know its gonna be a bad day when you wake up a half hour before the alarm goes off and you can’t turn over, snuggle down and go back sleep. So I laid there.


The morning news report was on the radio and the first thing I heard was of a fire in which a large ocean front home was under six alarms. Friday the 13th?


The next news bit was of a boat accident where a power boat rammed a sail boat. All were saved so there was at least that. Friday the 13th?


So I’m on my way to the marina and for some reason completely forgot that the new road was open and proceeded south to the U-turn so I could travel the direction I wanted….north! Friday the 13th?


I get to the ramp and take notice of three, count em’, three trucks with trailers that gave no regard for parking space lines and each took up two spaces.


IMG_2288


IMG_2291


IMG_2290


They each had notes on their vehicles from the RAMP MASTER!


I knew it was going to be busy today and I sure didn’t need to start my day short three parking spaces out of twenty.


I took a ride on the golf cart during a lull and saw this kitty with a life jacket on.


IMG_2294


I didn’t think much of it other than it was unusual and I snapped a few pictures and made mention to the fella with him that I didn’t know they made life preservers for cats. His owner remarked that he wears it quite often and they were especially thankful for it five hours earlier. Five hours earlier? That would make it 4 a.m.! Then I took notice of all the things on the picnic table. Oh. My. Gosh! This is the couple from the sailboat crash I had heard about on the radio a couple of hours before.


When I asked them if they were in fact in that boating accident they were surprised I knew about it. I told them I heard about it on the radio and they decided then that they had better call the kids. We talked for a few more minutes and I had to get back to the ramp.


I realized I didn’t have a two-way radio and rode up to the main office to get one and passed six fellas sitting on the patio outside the cafe. I heard one fellow on the telephone and it was quite evident he was talking with an insurance company. One of the other fella’s said to the his tablemates, “Remind me to never go fishing on Friday the 13th again.” These were the guys in the powerboat that was in the boating accident.


All six ended up in the water and when rescued all were wearing lifejackets. I didn’t hear if they all had them on the whole time or they were able to grab them before the 38 foot boat they were on sank.


The accident happened 8 miles off-shore in about 70 feet of water. From what I’ve heard, both parties said they were on auto-pilot and the sailboat couple had just changed watch. They were on their way to Cape Cod from Cape Charles in Virginia. There were under motor power because the wind had died down and it was the middle of the night. The six fellas? A day of fishing out in the canyons was planned. Their day was just starting. Friday the 13th?


I’m also hearing that both parties are claiming the other didn’t have running lights on but that’s something that will have to be worked out between their insurance companies.


The sailboat was being brought into the marina and of course, as I said, the power boat sank.


About an hour later the sailboat arrived.


IMG_2296


The power boat hit the sailboat and snapped the main mast.


IMG_2298


IMG_2300


IMG_2311


IMG_2315


Thankfully, though all were badly shaken, no one died and no one was injured.


Just before I left I was asked if I would take the lady of the couple to Rehoboth Beach so that she could pick up her rental car so they could return to Virginia.


I had to go home first to take the truck to Bob and I would return with him. I would then take Susan’s car to Rehoboth, return it to her and the lady would take me back home. That was the plan.


I returned to the marina and Susan called and said other arrangements had been made with someone who was going to Rehoboth anyway so there was no need for me to come back. Problem was, I was already in the marina and walking towards her.


I had no choice but to take the truck which didn’t make Bob a happy camper because we agreed we would never leave each other stranded at the marina without a vehicle.


Since it couldn’t be helped today I decided to make good use of the vehicle and get my hair cut. I went to the salon and was told the lady I wanted would get there at two. Unfortunately, it was only 1:10. I decided to wait since they had a good selection of magazines to help me pass the time. Well, two came and went and I asked them to call her to see if she was on her way. The salon manager heard this exchange and made the announcement that she wouldn’t be in until three. I couldn’t wait, Bob may get off early and I couldn’t have him calling at the beginning of a hair cutting session that he was ready to be picked up. I had wasted an hour waiting. Friday the 13th?


I decided since I was in the neighborhood I would stop at the grocery store and pick up a few things. Well, things didn’t go very well in the parking lot.


IMG_2317


Yep, I did that. I was so concerned with a car that come in close next to me that I didn’t pay attention to how close I was to a light post that was set in cement. I haven’t told Bob yet. Friday the 13th?


When is the next Friday the 13th? I think I may just stay in bed that day.


2 comments:

Donna K said...

Thanks goodness today was the last Friday the 13th for 2012. I believe the next one is in September 2013. You have a year to prepare - use it wisely lol!!

LaVon Baker said...

OH, bless your heart.
Well, you can't say it was a boring day. Made for a very interesting post.