Sunday, December 23, 2012

12/20–12/23/2012 End of the World Party

(Key Largo, FL)

I thought I could keep writing something interesting every day like I used to.  Um, no, not happening in this place.

I don’t want to complain but we can NOT wait to get out of here.  Our only saving grace right now is Di and KK arriving on the 28th.
We did have one day, one, where the day was absolutely delightful.  Very low humidity, a slight breeze and no bugs!  No bugs!  It  was the talk of the campground.

We made our reservations for New Years Eve.  We’ll be bringing in the New Year at Snook's Bayside.  When I went to make the reservations I found out who Snookie is.  Actually its not a who but a what.  Snookie is a little pug dog.  I will assume he or she belongs to the owner.  Anyway they have  quite an evening planned with hula dancers, flame dancers, a DJ, the whole clock strikes twelve hoopla and added bonus, we’ll get to see the fireworks that other establishments have going on up and down the bay.

On the 21st, the much anticipated end of the world as we know it, we went to a party with other volunteers at the home of one of the rangers.  Wayne, a volunteer made enough gumbo to fill three crockpots. 

Chef Wayne…

IMG_3918

It was a tad chilly this evening to the point that some wore jeans and light jackets or at least a sweatshirt with their shorts.

We needn’t have worried about being chilly though.  Ranger Pat has a great fire pit in his backyard.

IMG_3904

What a great fire we had!

IMG_3933

I heard this really strange noise and asked Wayne, who was standing close by, if he knew what it was.  He told me to follow him.  We went on to Patrick’s porch and I found these.

IMG_3922

The one above is about 80 years old.  He’s banded with a date from the 1930’s.
Then there is this cockatoo.  I think I was told it is around 40 years old.  Its talks quite a bit and kept telling me it was a pretty bird.  I can tell you it was a loud bird!

IMG_3925

There was one other green parrot.  This one is around 60 years old.  Both of the green parrots talk also.

IMG_3931

It was a very nice evening and we all enjoyed the good food and good company.
On Sunday my parents celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary.  Sixty years, it wasn’t always easy but they stuck it out and worked at it.  People today could learn a lesson from them.

It does not feel like Christmas down here.  The carols play on the radio, the stores are busy and a lot of campsites are decorated, but it’s hard to get the spirit when you grew up and lived most of your life in a Mid-Atlantic state which means its cold and a white Christmas is not out of the question.  Instead we’re wearing shorts and flip flops every day and its summer as far as we’re concerned with the temps in the high 70s to low 80s.
Feels like it or not, Christmas is right around the corner.

No comments: