Sunday, April 28, 2013

4/28/2013 Sticker Shock!

(Wilmington, DE)

Today I started getting ready to go home again. 

I packed another box to ship home.  I wonder if it wouldn’t have been less expensive to go to Goodwill, buy a large suitcase and just check the bag at the airport for $25.00.  Yep, that’s what I should have done!  Even if it had cost me fifty bucks it would have been worth it.  Lesson learned.

Mom and I didn’t do anything around the house today.  Not that there wasn’t a project we could have completed but we both knew that this would be my last day and without saying it out loud I think we just wanted to enjoy the day keeping each other company.
I didn’t go to church this morning with my mom.  I just couldn’t take it.  Not that I didn’t want to be with her or listen to the pastor, I couldn’t take the music director another Sunday.  He’s been with the church for the past two and a half or three months now and he’s not making many points with the church members.  While I like some of the “new” hymns that are more modern and have a beat, if you will, I don’t like having two guitars and a set of drums on the stage that play so loud that I feel like I’m at a rock concert.  There’s a time and a place and this isn’t it. Speaking of rock concerts, this music director jumps around the stage and in place so much that he looks like a jumping bean.  I don’t get it.  I was waiting for him to smash his guitar at the end of music portion of the service.  I’m not the only one that feels this way.  Mom knows of several families that don’t come there anymore because of the music.  She doesn’t care for it and the people who sit around her have all voiced their dislike of the situation.  I asked her why doesn’t anyone say something to the pastor then.  She couldn’t give me a reason.  I would like to see at least one Sunday a month when the old traditional hymns are sung.  Me and a whole lotta other people.

While mom was gone in the morning I got online to make reservations for a rental car once I reached Phoenix.  I started with the rental agencies right on the airport complex….hence, the title of this post.  The smallest car and the cheapest price I found was $99 and it went up to $107.  I don’t want to buy the darn thing I just want to drive it to Tucson!  I called Enterprise Rental Car agency at the 800 #.  What a difference 5 miles makes!  If I take a taxi from the airport to the rental agency I could get a mid-sized car, think Chevy Impala for $35 and change.  I don’t have to pay the “stadium tax” if I rent away from airport.  Yes, you read that right, STADIUM TAX.  Phoenix has a new stadium for one of their sports teams and to help pay for it visitors to the city who rent a car at the airport pay an extra tax.   WELCOME to Phoenix.  So, needless to say, I rented from the off-site rental agency.

Mom and I spent the day playing cards, sitting on the porch watching the world go ‘round, at times lost in our own thoughts, and talking and laughing and making plans for the future.

After dinner it was more cards and TV and going to bed knowing that after tomorrow,when I walk out the door, she will be alone.  Her new normal.

No comments: