Wednesday, August 6, 2008

8/6/08 Meds, Finally!

I left you on the last entry with me staring at the clock willing it to move faster towards nine so that I could get to Walmart to get my prescriptions filled. This is something I really should have done as soon as I was released from the hospital. Lesson learned.

At 8:30 I went in and got Bob up as I wanted to be one of the first in line when the pharmacy opened. I had already made my mind up that I WOULD be first in line even if 17 people were in front of me.

I walked slowly to the front door of the store because I couldn't take the chance of getting out of breath with a brisk walk. Heck, I didn't have any breath to spare! As I walked towards the pharmacy I had a vision of a line of customers that snaked through the cough medicine aisle to the adult diaper section then through the allergy relief portion of the department where all the colorful boxes seem to scream Buy Me! Buy Me, I'll get rid of your itchy watery eyes, rid you of your sneezing and whatever other symptoms you may have. Thank heaven it was just a vision as when I turned the corner there was no one there.

I pushed my prescriptions across the counter and pointed to the one for the inhaler and asked that I get that one first. I was laboring for breath again and the fellow must have thought I was asthmatic. He said he would get it as soon as the paperwork was done. Hey, no problem, I'll just stand here gasping for air, fighting for what seems is like my last breath while you check my info on the scrip against what you have in the computer on me. Yep, I'll just stand here and turn blue for lack of oxygen, take your time. Another pharmacy tech took note of my situation and told him, "Get her the inhaler, the paperwork can wait!" I swear I heard her mutter under her breath,, ,,,stupid jerk. So he gives me the box and starts to walk away. I knocked on the counter to get his attention and asked him what I do with it. I've seen these things on TV before but never in real life and didn't have a clue what to do with it, not how to put the parts together or how to use it. He asked me if was asthmatic and I told him no that I had pneumonia and would die right before his eyes if he didn't help me get this contraption in working order ASAP. He said, "No problem, let me read the directions and I'll put it together for you." The tech who came to my rescue earlier nudged him out of the way and took over. In no time flat she had the thing put together, shaken, cap off, stuck in my mouth and pumping the medicine down my throat! I'm voting for her for the Walmart Employee of the Year! It took only a few minutes and that spray was doing its job. I could once again breathe! The rest of the scrips filled, Bob and I made our way back to Kenny's.

One of the meds, Prednisone, makes everything taste bad. My Pepsi's don't taste right, my M&M's taste horrible and potato chips taste like salty cardboard. I'm glad I only have to take this medicine for 4 days. This isn't the diet the doctor recommended but Kenny doesn't have a whole lot in the way of food in the house, I can tell a trip to the grocery store is in order.

It was hot and muggy today so Bob and I pretty much stuck close to the house. We decided we'll venture out later when it cools down some. We urged Kenny to go on with his usual routine that we would feel better once I have at least as day's worth of the medicine in me.

As it turned out I never did make it to the grocery store so when dinner time came we did go the American Legion with Kenny as they serve dinners. Usually. Most Wednesday nights. We didn't find out the reason why but for some reason there was no dinner this week. However, it was line dancing night at the Legion. Oh, how I wanted to get up there but I just didn't have it in me. We finally left at ten and decided on pizza but by the time we got there the place was closed. There was to be no dinner for us tonight. I'm sure not getting much to eat these past few days but maybe that's a good thing since I've been getting more than my fair share of subs and steak sandwiches lately.

Back at Kenny's we just turned in early.

1 comment:

BUD AND SHELLEY said...

Snookie-sorry to hear about your health! Between you and Bob I think you must be running your self down! Make sure you eat you know the old saying:
EAT TO LIVE - LIVE TO EAT.
WILL SAY A PRAYER FOR YOU.