Thursday, July 2, 2009

7/2/2009 A Peek at Seward

If you travel 127 miles south, from Anchorage, you will arrive in Seward. I think it just might be the best 127 miles of this trip that we've traveled so far.

Today we took a quick peek at Seward, the town. What a delightful little town it is. There aren't that many streets, but oh the treasures these streets hold, waiting for us to explore them in depth.

The "main" thing in this town would be the river front. Actually, that should be bay front because this town sits right on Resurrection Bay. The harbor was busy today with holiday boaters putting their boats in the water, a cruise ship had come in to port, the campgrounds which are right at waterfront were jam packed with 4th of July weekend campers and the fisherman were out in force.

IMG_0248

I watched this lady, a charter fishing boat owner, clean the catch of the day. King Salmon.

IMG_0250

She was so fast she made my head spin. Just two or three minutes, literally, after I took the above picture I took this one below.

IMG_0249

She was fascinating to watch! In no time at all she had this sitting next to her.

IMG_0251

I know right now some of you are just salivating at the thought of this FRESH king salmon. Personally, it doesn't do a thing for me. As far as fish are concerned, I want mine in little round can with a mermaid on the label, that's as far as my relationship with fish goes. I've tasted flounder and I guess if I was starving, and that would have to be literally starving as in I'm gonna die if I don't eat something, then I could eat flounder. A little piece. Alls I've been hearing is, "Oh you just have to taste the fresh halibut, its out of this world". I wonder if they could disguise it,,,,coat it in chocolate or something. I want to like it, I really do. I think it would be great if Bob and I had fish once or twice a week. He LOVES fish. Poor guy rarely gets it though and when he does he has to cook it because I don't have a clue. Maybe I'll taste it..MAYBE.

I moved on, leaving this lady and her helper to finish up cleaning the rest of the catch. I think this fella took the phrase "cleaning the fish" to the extreme. He's giving them a shower!

IMG_0253

They caught 34 when they were out today and they were allowed 36.

IMG_0252

Here's the scales where the proud fisherman stand next to their catch so pictures can be taken....and the fish weighed of course.

IMG_0257

I think the harbor will be very busy this holiday weekend.

IMG_0256

The water is soooo clear!

IMG_0258

A cruise ship came into port. The Princess line docks here, as we saw bus after bus with the Princess logo heading north towards Anchorage.

IMG_0259

We walked along the area where all the gift shops, bait stores and day cruise businesses are located. There must be someone very handy with a chain saw in the area.

Otters in just this pose are a common sight in the surrounding waters.

IMG_0260

More seating.

IMG_0261

"What fish? I don't know nothin' about a fish."

IMG_0262

IMG_0263

IMG_0264

This anchor, from a ship of long ago, is just H U G E!

IMG_0265

Mural on a wall of a building on the corner.

IMG_0266

There were lots of little gift shops like this one around town.

IMG_0267

While we were in town we went to the Army's Seward Resort, you can check it out here. We'll be staying there starting on the 5th for three days. After that we'll staying in one of the town campground's right on the bay for a couple of days.

We made our reservations for Seward Resort again in August. Our forever friend, Dianne is flying in to spend nearly two weeks with us. We checked into a Kenai Fjord day cruise to go on while she's here. That's a must do! We'll also save seeing the Sea Life Center until she gets here. There's lot of other things to do here so I'm sure we'll keep busy.

We needed to get bread so we stopped in the local Safeway. You guessed it, sticker shock! I love this place, but I'm glad I don't live here. I don't know that I could ever get past what things should cost in comparison to the lower 48.

We took a ride on the road going out the other side of town and saw this.

IMG_0278

You know I just had to get my "Going Down the Road" picture in.

We headed home after this and enjoyed a dinner of stuffed peppers, mashed taters and corn. It hit the spot!

Our campground is crowded! I think every space is taken. I keep forgetting its Fourth of July weekend, this has come much too fast. My mom always told me that after the 4th, summer just flies by. I hope your wrong this year Mom! I have my doubts though, especially this year because of where we are, the anticipation of seeing Dianne, actually having her here and trying to "show her Alaska" in a short amount of time will make the time fly by for sure.

I touched base with Quail Run friends who are here in Alaska too. We'll meet up with Lin, Dan and Darlene in a week or so.

It's quarter to twelve as I wind this up and its still light outside, not bright sunshine but definitely not dark. I will never ever get used to this. It sure beats being here when its dark all the time though.

Since I had those computer problems a short while back and thought I was going to close the blog down I'm wondering if my some of our faithful readers read that and have not returned. So Lou, are you here? What about our long time reader in BC who turned the counter awhile back? Are you still with me? Chris and Earl? Present and accounted for? I know Livingston and New York are still following our travels as is Jonesboro, Bakersfield, Reston, LA and Hazelton.

Question for Nancy in Virginia. What town in Virginia? And Jonesboro, GA reader, you've been following for quite a while, do we know you? I can see what towns/cities all of you are from and I have to wonder sometimes if the faithful followers are ones we've met along the way or not. Just curiosity on my part.

Ok, another day down. Not a real exciting one, but it was ours. Let's see what tomorrow brings. Oh, I do know what we'll doing tomorrow night at midnight. We'll be watching the fireworks. This should be interesting.

In case you are all busy this weekend and don't get a chance to check in, I'll wish you a safe and happy Fourth of July now. Be careful out there, on the roads, in the water, on the mountains, whatever you're doing, play safe.

3 comments:

Lou said...

I'm right here Snookie. Now, do you really think I would give up on you just because you said you were closing down your blog? Besides, how else am I going to be able to see bear poop?

Unknown said...

I'm (Aunt Maryanne) Jonesboro, GA or Atlanta, GA depending on which server I sign in on. You two look like you're having a fabulous time. Have some good recipes for salmon if you're interested.

Anonymous said...

My husband and I took an Alaskan Cruise a few years ago and embarked out of Seward. It is gorgeous there. We would love to RV through Alaska someday, too! Looks like you are livin' the good life, thats for sure. :-)