Saturday, July 25, 2009

7/25/2009 Bob is a Happy Camper..er..Fisherman!

Bob is absolutely on Cloud Nine! He made arrangements for a half day fishing trip with Alaska River Adventure's located in Cooper's Landing for today. He took care of getting his license yesterday and watched the clock all morning and early afternoon since he didn't have to leave until 1:15 for his two o'clock trip.

Dressed warmly, license in pocket, camera in a Baggie, out the door he went. I wished him good luck and thought about what I was going to do to pass the time.

I decided to bake Bob a chocolate cake. He works so hard around here keeping everything in good working order that I thought I'd show my appreciation by baking him a treat. Take it from me, baking a cake in a toaster oven is NOT like baking in a full size "real" oven. I made this cake just like I have every other cake these past 29 years. Nothing different, no "new" ingredients, everything was just the same. Two layers with icing in between. The. Same. So why, WHY, did these two cake layers come out not much thicker than a pancake? Granted, a thick pancake but a pancake all the same! Do you know how much icing you have left over when that happens? And just what does one do with a leftover quarter container of icing? Chocolate icing. Creamy chocolate icing. Delicious, creamy, chocolate icing. Delicious, creamy, chocolate icing that was screaming, "EAT ME SNOOKIE, EAT ME!" What would YOU do? Aha! I thought so. The exact same thing I would do! So,,,,I ate it.

The cake wasn't all that much to look at but I'm happy to say that Bob gave it two thumbs up on taste.

I had a nice long talk with my mom this afternoon. I caught up on all the news from home and I gave her details on what we've been up to.

I spent some time writing some long overdue emails and worked on my "farm" on Facebook for awhile. I even got a little reading in today. A relaxing day for sure.

Five hours later my water warrior came home grinning from ear to ear. This is why.

Picture-Alaska2 002

This was his first time fly fishing and it took him a little while to get the hang of things but as you can see, HE DID!

He was taken to the river in a raft and given boots to wear and he stood in the river with, literally, hundreds of sockeye salmon. The reds are running! He had on polarized sun glasses and could see into the river, kinda like Superman and his x-ray vision only Bob was looking at swimming fish. He said they were so thick one could just reach in and grab one. Of course that would take away the thrill of fishing for one and besides its against the law. Same fish, more scenery.

Picture-Alaska2 003

He was so happy when he came home and it was contagious! I don't know who smiled more, me or him.

Oh what the heck, one more picture!

Picture-Alaska2 004

So we both had a great day! We hope you did too.

2 comments:

LaVon Baker said...

A beautiful salmon and smile!

Chocolate icing is great on graham crackers.

Anonymous said...

Are you trying to bake at high altitude? Read the box for changes! Barb