Tuesday, July 28, 2009

7/26 - 7/28/2009 The Last Few Days....

What a nice birthday I had! So many birthday wishes through email, Facebook, snail mail, the phone and let's not forget the in person one. Somehow Bob manages to always get the PERFECT cards for birthdays and anniversaries. Being in Alaska there isn't a Hallmark store on every corner and he even had a hard time finding a store in this small town that sold cards at all. Thank heavens for the local HARDWARE store! I do think this is the first time he ever bought me a card in a store of that type. I asked why even looked there and he replied, "I saw them when I went in there to see if they had the gas regulator and thought I'd better get one while I can."

We haven't had the best of weather this past week. It's been drizzly, cold and breezy for the most part. Doesn't really make you want to go out and take pictures, or sightsee, or explore or much of anything for that matter. So we really haven't done much these past few days.

We did get a short break in the drizzle yesterday and got out while we could. We took a ride to nowhere. A lookout over the river we followed.

IMG_0972

Then we came back to the lodge and sat in the lounge for awhile and had some beers and sodas. I've already told you that we are in the RV park associated with the Princess Cruise Line organization. This is such a top notch operation. I would recommend anyone to stay here in the RV park, the hotel or one of the cabins.

We were out on the deck of the lodge for awhile.

IMG_0973

Our view from the deck. Now is this a view or what?

IMG_0976

We're going to be moving tomorrow to Whittier. This will make us that much closer to Anchorage where we'll pick up our friend Dianne at the airport on Monday. I can't wait to see her! We plan to be in Whittier just two days so that we can spend a few in Anchorage getting ready for Dianne's arrival. I want to get all the laundry done, shopping out of the way and make sure she has room for the all the clothes she is sure to bring and won't wear. I just know she is packing her entire closet!

I'm hoping this weather is getting all the rain out of its system so that we at least have dry weather while Dianne is here. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Next stop, Whittier.

An afterthought: Some time ago I wrote about www.restaurant.com . This is a site that you can get $25.00 gift certificates for $10.00. Put in your city/state or zip code and see what restaurants are in your area that are participating. You can change the distance in miles that you are willing to travel for even more choices. I would recommend that before you print out the certificate that you call the restaurant to make sure they are still in the program. If they have new owners they may not be. Make sure to read the whole description of the restaurant for any stipulations, some have them, most don't. For instance, alchohol may not be included in the certificate.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm telling you winter is on it's way. We have friends who did a bicycle ride from Fairbanks to Alaska one year in AUGUST - sleet, snow & freezing temps at night. Get out your woolies! Barb

ttprincess1226 said...

I love restaurant.com. Did you just join? If so, take note that it gets even better when they have sales - 50%, 60%, 70% or even 80% off the $10. price. Pretty good!

LaVon Baker said...

The view/scenery pictures are just stunning... frame worthy, even.

Don and I went to the movie this afternoon and saw The Proposal. A lot of it was set in Alaska and the scenery shots made me think of y'all and the beauty you are experiencing. Cute movie, btw.