Wednesday, September 30, 2009

9/30/2009 Mick & Tyler, My New Best Friends

Oh, 7 a.m. came early this morning. Neither one of us slept much last night due to the wind rockin’ our rig the way it did.

Lucky for us, everything that we could do last night to insure a quick getaway this morning was done. Within 30 minutes of rising, we were on the road.

So long Beaver, Utah. We didn’t get to see anything of ya!

Ah, but I did capture this sunrise coming over the mountains just before we pulled out.

IMG_2394

I cannot decide which, of the two pictures I took, I like better. Fortunately, I’m the one who decides what gets put into this blog and I choose to post both of them.

IMG_2396

We found I-15 south with no problem and we were on our way. Once again the sky was grabbing my attention.

IMG_2403

Now this is something we don’t see on the East coast. A tractor and triple trailers. Every fourth or fifth OTR truck you see out here has two or three trailers attached to it.

IMG_2404

As the day went on the scenery just got prettier and prettier.

IMG_2405

IMG_2406

I have NOT done anything to these pictures. They are just way I took them. I have NOT played with the color in any way at all.

IMG_2407

IMG_2408

IMG_2409

We crossed over into Arizona for a whole twenty nine miles.

IMG_2411

I don’t know how I missed it but I never did see the state line marker telling us we were in Nevada. Bob didn’t see it either so I’m thinking its missing in action.

The scenery is just getting more spectacular by the mile! Absolutely breathtaking! A sight everyone should see. I bet you are wondering where the pictures are aren’t you? Yeah,,,,well.

I put the camera up to take what I know would have been a fantastic picture. Probably so good that it could have taken first prize in a photo contest. It was going to be that good. Yeah….well.

I got the scene I wanted in the frame, I focused, I clicked,…NOTHING! What the ,,,,,,,????? I looked at the camera and saw that I had a dead battery pack. I thought about charging that darn thing last night because its been awhile since I’d done that. I even picked the camera up and looked at it but it was showing “all bars” so I let it go. Dummy ME! Yeah....well.

Of course I will never ever see scenery as spectacular as what we went through today again! Well, at least not until we come to Nevada from the north again.

Yep, we’re in Nevada. Vegas to be exact. We’ll be here for a week at Nellis Air Force Base. A chance to relax…. cheaply. Actually, its still too hot in southern Arizona so we’re going to stay here and ride it out for a bit.

So we got set up and as soon as I could I got on the computer and googled a local business for a nearby location. I have been thinking about this for over a year now and especially since I realized we were coming to Vegas. CAPRIOTTI’S! The best sub shop in all the land. Bar none. Second to none. Without a doubt the best!

I picked one of the twenty four Capriotti' stores in Vegas, (yes twenty four!) and called to see how far they were from Nellis. Ahhh, six miles, music to my ears! I was talking with the owner of the store and told him I had been looking forward to this sub for a long time. Of course it came out that I was from Delaware where this sub sandwich empire started and I found that he too was quite familiar with Delaware. Ok, subs for dinner!

Later on in the day I went to pick up dinner.

IMG_2412

Mick, the owner, met me at the door and welcomed me inside. Oh, the smell! Heaven on earth, I’m tellin’ ya.

He said, all Delawareans get a free sub if they show me a Delaware driver’s license. OH NO! We’re registered in Texas now because we belong to Escapees and we changed everything to Livingston, Texas. Thank heaven I had on my Delaware T-shirt.

That’s Mick on the phone in the right side of the picture. I thought I had gotten him in the shot all the way. So sorry Mick, but I’ll get another chance because I will be back before the week’s over!

IMG_2414

Mick introduced me to Tyler, the builder of our subs. My mouth watered with every piece of meat, slice of cheese and handful of tomatoes.

Tyler is one of the nicest young men I’ve had the pleasure of meeting in a long time.

IMG_2415

True to form, a Capriotti’s sub isn’t just thrown together, its BUILT!

IMG_2416

Layer by layer, each piece precisely placed….

IMG_2417

Bob opted for his usual Italian and I had the famous turkey sub. No turkey roll lunch meat for this sub….REAL turkey only, picked right off the bones.

IMG_2418

Perfection!

IMG_2419

Cut in two….

IMG_2420

….and wrapped just so…..

IMG_2421

…..and handed over with a smile. Yep, PERFECTION!!!

As Mick said, we got one of our subs on the house because we’re Delawarean’s, at heart, if not legally anymore. He also gave us two brownies but I have to admit I was sorry they didn’t have any Tastykakes. He was waiting for the next shipment to come in so I’m sure we’ll get some on our next trip to Capriotti’s because there surely will be one.

IMG_2422

Bob enjoying his dinner!

IMG_2423

The trip to Vegas is worth those subs alone! Mick, THANK YOU! Tyler, you make a mean sub buddy!

No comments: