Wednesday, July 20, 2011

7/20/2011 Quinn’s–2 Directv–Zip

Directv came today and all was not smooth sailing yet again. When the arrived around 10 a.m. I had to go to sign him into the base. Since he had never been here before it was quite the process to get a vendor signed in. Copies of everything except his first grade report card had to be made, his photo taken, he had to be fingerprinted and who knows what else. It would have taken less time to get him enlisted!


So he follows me to our place and gets right to work. First came the new dish. This one is oval versus the round one we had and bigger which means more room in the storage area when we’re on the road. We can deal with it.


Next comes the inside work. He doesn’t have the right receiver with him. This does not set well with either one of us. We just want this whole process to be over. So off the install guy goes back to his Rapid City office to get the right equipment. Thankfully we are only six or so miles from Rapid so it didn’t take him too long and he had his temporary pass so I didn’t have to go and sign him back in. He returns and gets right to work because he also has two other appointments today here on base.


I left to go to the store to pick up some things for dinner and when I returned the install guy is talking with Bob and I just assumed the work was done. Not so. The correct model receiver he brought him the second time, didn’t work! He called his supervisor and he agreed to bring one to him.


This has now turned into an all day affair. I decided to call Directv to let them know that I’m not a happy camper with the way this service call is going and since we had to spend our entire day off dealing with this that we should be compensated in some way. (( By the way, in case some of you have received the email going around telling you that you can ask to speak someone in the US when you reach a customer service call center in Indonesia or the Phillipines, it’s true! I got “Jennifer” in the Phillipines and I told her I wanted to speak to someone in the US. She told me that she would be happy to help me and I just repeated my request, “I would like to speak to someone in the US.” She put me through and I dealt with someone in South Dakota but from Sioux Falls. So yes, ask to speak to someone here in this country and maybe, just maybe we can get those call center jobs back.)) When connected with the US call center I asked to speak to a supervisor and was connected right away with no problem. That is a miracle in itself. So I explained what was going on with sending the installer to the wrong address the first time, the installer having the wrong equipment, the right equipment being broken and how the whole day is just shot. He apologized all over himself and while that was all well and good I wanted something instead. He agreed to give us Showtime channels at no cost to us for a month. It was something, I was happy.


So its done! Directv has installed our new high def dish and our new high def receiver. The picture on our TV is fantastic! Now our friend Jerry has to come in and set up the Blu-ray and tweak all the color and sound levels and we’ll be in TV home theater watching heaven! If I had only known how many REMOTES we were going to end up with!


(Only five are shown in the picture below, we have six!)IMG_8904

No comments: