Saturday, July 2, 2011

7/2/2010 Half the Year Down

Here we are into July already. Time is just flying by.


Once again a week has gone by and I haven’t posted anything here. I’d like to be able to claim its writer’s block but that would infer that I am a writer and that term certainly doesn’t apply to me. So maybe I have blogger’s block? Actually that isn’t the case either, its not that I can’t write its more a matter of I don’t have anything to write about. We haven’t been doing anything. We work our three days and then the three days we’re off it rains. Maybe not all day, maybe just the morning and then we’re down because of the rain and we kind of settle in and then can’t get motivated to go out and do something. Or maybe a thunderstorm is predicted for the early afternoon so what’s the sense of even venturing out? I can tell you this, had we any idea at all that the weather was going to be like this in South Dakota we would have gladly driven to Timbukto rather than here. If nothing else the weather is depressing.


One bright spot in the last week was we got a new desk chair. Sad isn’t it that I have to write about a new desk chair. Of course it wasn’t without drama of sorts. Bob had been to Office Max earlier in the week and described a chair to me that he liked. Shari, my co-worker, and I went a few days later and I looked at them. I couldn’t find the one he was talking about by the price he gave me. I looked them all over and sat in this one and thought I had died and gone to heaven. I had never sat in a more comfortable desk chair. It was about $30.00 more than the price point he gave me but it was on sale and color was right and it was just so darn comfy. I asked how long the sale was on for and salesman told me through the weekend. On Sunday, Bob and I go back to the office supply store and no sale! I showed him the chair that I liked and he liked it too. I found the store manager and told him that I was told the sale would be through the weekend and he agreed to meet the sale price. Long story short, we got the chair home and it didn’t fit in the desk opening. The next day we returned it and got another one. Nice, but just not as comfortable as that first one.


I always knew this but the point was driven home this week. If you want something done, get a woman to do it! I’ve mentioned before that the contract for grass cutting in the FamCamp is worded so that the grass needs to be 10 – 12 inches before the service comes out and cuts it. That is just utterly ridiculous. The FamCamp guests are constantly complaining to us and in turn we complain, loudly, to Outdoor Recreation. Well, we weren’t getting anywhere and Shari and I decided to take things into our own hands. We called the Base Commander. Directly. He wasn’t in the office when the call was placed and we made the call as if we were guests of the park rather than camp hosts. His secretary assured us he would get the message. The next morning at 7:45a.m. the grass mowers here! When we heard the machines and the weed whackers Shari and I both walked out of our rigs and met in the middle and high fived!


Our garden is doing very well! We have radishes now but they won’t be ready to pick for another few days. We made a trip to Walmart for five gallon buckets, soil and rocks to give drainage. Bob drilled holes the bottom of the buckets so the water could run out.


IMG_8624


The lettuce is coming up nicely, we have teeny tiny hot peppers on the plants and the tomatoes are just loaded with green orbs and a ton of yellow flowers.


IMG_8626


IMG_8627


Valerie, a FamCamp guest I’ve become friends with, and I have organized a 4th of July picnic here in the park. We’ve invited everyone who will be here that day and the response has been really good so we should have a really nice time.


I ask that you bear with me until the weather cooperates and the rain stops so that we can get out and see things. I do want to thank you for stopping back and checking in to see if I’ve posted anything. Nothing would give me more pleasure than to have something to write about.

No comments: