Friday, September 16, 2011

9/16/2011 Farewell Ellsworth…

Everything was packed away, some things not where they should go, but away all the same. We were ready, no, make that anxious to hit the road. We were finally scratching that itch,,,,hitch itch.


So at 9:38 this morning we bid farewell, said so long, sayonara, adios, catch ya on the flip side,,,,to Ellsworth Air Force Base.


IMG_9588


Val and Jerry were already on the road and Joy and DeWayne would be within the hour or so. Yep, time to go.


As we pulled out Joy came outside of her rig camera in hand. Yes, we had already said our so long’s to these two just moments earlier.


IMG_9583


See ya next month Joy,,,,safe travels to you.


IMG_9584


Shouldn’t all friends have pictures of each other taking a picture of them? Yes, I thought so too.


IMG_9585


As you can see by Joy’s mode of dress, its still chilly here and its overcast and we’re glad to be heading south!


So we left South Dakota, sailed through Nebraska,,,,


IMG_9590


,,,,,and ended up in Colorado for the night.


IMG_9591


I’ve said it before and it still cracks me up every time I see it, I just don’t “get” the Colorado state sign. There is nothing colorful about their sign and points to what it proclaims…COLORFUL Colorado. I’ve decided, when they make me boss of the world, Colorado state signs will be painted in a rainbow of colors!


We stayed in the Buffalo Hills Campground.


IMG_9592


When we pulled in and drove around the loop we said over and over, “It’s only for one night, it’s only for one night.” Had we not put in such a long day we probably would have kept going. We finally found a site we could fit in to. There were not many sites available as this campground seemed to be mostly permanent residents. From the looks of the some of the RV’s they had been in place a long, long time.


So we get all set up, jacks down, leveled, electric hooked up and Bob yells into me, “Guess what? There’s no water!” Since it was only go to be overnight and we were nuking leftovers on paper plates for dinner, we decided we could get along with two gallon containers of water and a five gallon bucket filled three quarters of the way full. Ok, we can do this.


But wait, it gets better. There is no TV reception. None. Nada. Zilch. Ok, no problem, we can watch movies. After all Bob just got a half dozen new ones for his birthday that he wasn’t watched yet. Ok, we can do this.


Well, lo and behold, the long day really hit me and I was, how shall I put this, a little testy. Oh who am I kidding….I was in full bitch mode. I don’t even remember what, now as I type this, set me off but I found myself in bed at 7:30 p.m. because I couldn’t stand to be in the same room with HIM another minute! So there I am in the bedroom, no TV to watch, couldn’t find a talk radio station to save my soul, was too mad to read my book, so I just went to sleep. Big mistake! HUGE mistake. At two a.m. I was WIDE AWAKE! I had had approximately six hours of sleep, a normal nights sleep for me. Wide awake, no TV, I could only get one radio station that played today’s TOP 40 and that faded in and out. Have you heard what the kids today listen to? Makes me glad I was teen in the late 60’s and early 70’s! So I just laid there, wide awake. The longest night of my life!

No comments: