Wednesday, September 21, 2011

9/21/2011 Busy, Busy Day

Today is our last day here in El Paso and we had lots to get done.


First thing on the agenda was getting the truck through inspection. While we take care of inspection stickers through the mail it IS a requirement that if you return to Texas then you must take the vehicle through inspection. While many may think, me included, “I’m only going to be here a few days and what are the chances of me being caught” that is NOT Bob! As we crossed into Texas the first words out of his mouth were, “I have to get the truck inspected.” Thankfully, this is something we can get done on base. We drove over to the inspection lane and the inspection guy was available and no one was in line ahead of us so the whole process took 15 minutes. We’re legal. Bob is happy.


From there it was to the Commissary to pick up a few things. Fort Bliss has the BEST Commissary. It’s my most favorite of all the ones I’ve been in. For one thing its fairly new, its huge and it has everything you could possibly want. I would liken it to the Army’s version of a Whole Foods grocery store.


Now the hard part of our day starts. The packing. While I would like to pack up all of our clothes that’s just not a smart thing to do. I had to keep reminding myself that there are clothes in storage back in the park model, to just pack a week’s worth plus I can do laundry. I thought about taking my favorite knives from the kitchen but I reminded myself that I have perfectly good knives in Arizona already. Bob, on the other hand, had to go through all of his tools to make sure he takes everything he may possibly need. We don’t have duplicates at the park model like we do knives and serving spoons.


This is the day that the small upright freezer we have has to be emptied and defrosted. This takes no time at all as I have been using whatever I could the past few weeks out of this freezer so there really wasn’t a whole lot it in to begin with.


By the end of the day we were pretty much packed. We’ll empty the fridge into two coolers in the morning, put our suitcase in the truck, do a final sweep to make sure we aren’t forgetting anything, hook up and we’ll be on our way. In a perfect world that is.

No comments: