Friday, February 23, 2007

2/23/07 Fishing Day for Bob

Our day started before the crack of dawn today. We both got up at 5:30, Bob, because he is going fishing at 6. Me? I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Bob, Karl, Dave and Dale left precisely at 6 a.m. Temp was around 55 degrees and the sky was as clear as could be. After watching them load the truck with coolers, chairs, tackle boxes, poles and cameras I waved them off with wishes of good luck.

I got a few hours computer time in (read that as I played a half dozen games of online scrabble), got a load of laundry done and then headed for the pool.

I truly don't think I've ever seen the sky as blue as it was today. I wasn't the only who noticed it as this was a topic of conversation in the pool area. There wasn't a cloud in the sky. I stayed there for just two hours as I am trying very hard not to burn and peel. I even ventured into the pool and was very glad it was heated to a nice 84 degrees.

By late afternoon I had the fried chicken done, the spuds peeled for parsley potatoes and the ever present Quinn pantry staple - a can of green beans in the pot ready to be cooked. Bob doesn't like frozen and the fresh ones at Walmart were a few days past their prime.

Afterward I sat on the porch and enjoyed the late afternoon sunshine. I sat and listened to what I could hear. The drone of the rush hour traffic on US 19, the occasional door slamming, the hoot owl, the roar of the motorcycle obviously ridden by a testosterone driven rider. I could hear Vi, our next door neighbor, slamming drawers and cupboard doors as she made dinner. Our doors and drawers have "catches" on them so they don't open while traveling and I think Vi thinks she has to slam them in order for the catch to take hold. Or maybe she's mad at Marv.

At ten after six the fisherman returned. It was then that I learned that Dale had gotten very sick and had to call his wife to come get him. Bob drove by to see how he was only to learn they hadn't been home as yet. We're wondering if she has taken him to the hospital. They came home empty handed. They caught lots of fish but no keepers due to their size. They had fun all the same. As I write this they are on the porch telling Marv their fish stories. I just heard that Dave caught a pelican! Evidently the bird flew by just as he casted and when Bob looked over, Dave's pole was practically bent in half. Listening again I then learned that he also "caught" a dolphin but when the dolphin turned over the hook worked its way loose. He cast one time and as the hook and bait hit the water this black heron type bird dove after his bait and took hook and all. Dave didn't catch many fish but he was the leader in birds!

I knew Bob wouldn't be up long after his long day so I made my way to the clubhouse for some puzzle time and to hang out with friends. Nancy and I finished the 1500 piece puzzle that's been on the table for the last four days. All totaled there was probably 10 of us that had a hand in putting the pieces together.

As I came home for the night around ten my phone was ringing as I walked in. It was Karen, Dale's wife. Yes, she did take him straight to the hospital. It seems our buddy Dale has a bowel obstruction. He was resting comfortably and I knew he hadn't lost his sense of humor when I heard in the background, "Don't send flowers or cards, send money!" He's only expected to be in the hospital overnight. We were relieved to hear he'll be ok.

Well, that's it for another day in paradise.




No comments: