Sunday, February 13, 2011

2/13/2011 This Day Was So Fun!

Get your beverage of choice, turn off the phone, get comfortable, this is gonna be a long one!

We met up with ten others this morning for brunch at Robson Ranch. Robson Ranch is an active adult/retirement/golf community with a restaurant which is open to the public.

IMG_7452

Our brunch was just wonderful! Omelets made to order, bacon, sausage, waffles, French toast, fruit, pastries, potatoes O’brien, biscuits and gravy and probably a few other things I can’t even think of right now. All for $8.95 which is an excellent price for all you get. As good as the breakfast was, it paled in comparison to the company we were in. A great start to the day.

It was so nice to see green on the golf course!

IMG_7453

IMG_7454

We arrived back at Quail Run with enough time to change clothes, relax a bit and then head to the Cantina for the start of the parade we’re going to have today in honor of our Olympics week.

Two of friends, Kathy and Bonnie made placards that represented each state that the park residents call home. Of course, since Bob and I are the only Delawareans here I carried the Delaware sign.

Bonnie, one of our sign makers.

IMG_7463

There was a “Sorry Dear” golf tournament going on today so all the state’s reps weren't present. It didn’t matter, some people just carried two signs.

Our parade leaders, Janet and Carol and on the back of the golf cart was a boom box which played marching music.

IMG_7464

Here we go!

IMG_7466

Our friend Bob Fischer carried the Olympic flame.

IMG_7460

We went down the first street and noticed that there were no spectators. Hmmmm…..I know quite a few golfers aren’t here and there are quite few in the parade……

IMG_7468

……but NO spectators? Oh well. You know, it really doesn’t take much to amuse us, does it?

So we walked up and down the streets of Quail Run and I kept track of just how many spectators there were. Let’s just say there more people in the parade than watching. It was fun all the same. How often do you get to be in a parade? Come to think of it, we had a parade just a week or so ago too. I guess the answer would be if you live in Quail Run… quite often!

We paraded into the pool area for the rest of the opening ceremonies.

Here comes the torch, carried by 88 year old Jerry Weissinger. He has carried the torch for as long as Quail Run has been having the Olympics.

IMG_7476

IMG_7474

IMG_7475

The lighting of the flame…..

IMG_7477

IMG_7478

After the lighting of the eternal flame the game leaders were given a red rose to wear during the week to show they are a leader. Here are our friends Grant and Wendy getting theirs.

IMG_7480

Our buddy Chuck put his on his hat.

IMG_7481

Next up was Don. You just know when Don gets to the podium you are going to be entertained. He certainly didn't disappoint us today.

IMG_7482

Before I go any further let me explain something about Don’s medals. He is wearing all that he has won over the years but you can’t see them from this view. Here’s another look.

IMG_7493

Don explained that if he wore them all in front he would walk stooped over because of the weight. Only Don……

Don started his part of the program……

The athlete’s pledge is a solemn and sacred rite. Quail Run athletes with their toned and sculpted bodies and their dedication to practice and performance, are asked to stand now, raise their right hands and repeat after me. (so we did)

IMG_7483

IMG_7484

I will be on time to all my events even if they don’t serve food or liquor.

I will not try to distract last year’s winners when they are competing. Heckling is not permitted.

I will take all of my drugs so I can compete at a par with all the other druggies.

I will not distract my fellow competitors by wearing a speedo, a bikini or spandex.

I will wear my glasses in any event that involves throwing a hard or sharp object.

I will not trip younger competitors with my cane.

I will use nothing less than a $10.00 bill to bribe coordinators or scorers.

I will not beg, bribe, or plead for special rules for the elderly and infirm.

Lastly, I will forget all the pledges I just made and ENJOY MYSELF!

Needless to say, this got lots of laughs! And we weren’t done laughing yet!

Quail Run Olympics has acquired a new flag. It was up to Vance Trube to find the perfect banner for the occasion. It was reported that he went to Dollar General to find the perfect staff on which to display this most honorable banner.

It was with great (ahem) dignity that Vance presented our new Olympic flag.

IMG_7486

Yes, loyal readers, you are witness to Quail Run’s Olympic flag, a scruffy old red Quail Run T-shirt draped haphazardly over a cheap mop. I honestly don’t know if I was more surprised at the flag itself or at the fact that Vance has obviously not been out in the sun lately with shorts on!

IMG_7488

Vance paraded our flag around the pool area with much aplomb and turned the corners around the pool with military precision. I don’t know whose military…. it certainly wasn’t ours!

IMG_7490

Thank you Vance! For the flag bearing and the laughs!

Next came the Quail Run Anthem sung by Bill Turner and accompanied by his lovely wife Pat. This is a song that Bill wrote several years ago and its all about how he found Quail Run and how special the people here are all set to music. As many times as I hear it, it brings a smile to my face every time.

IMG_7491

The only thing left to say now is……

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

IMG_7479

And the games DID begin today Our first event was Ladies Pool. I was in this one and I’m just not that much of a pool player. I wrote about my pool playing ability last year and you can read it HERE. (it’s halfway down the page)

So I get to the pool at 4:30 and my first game is against Susan. She is new to our park so I didn’t know if I was playing against a shark or not. I wasn’t, as I won.

IMG_7494

My next game was against my dear friend Kathy.

IMG_7498

Kathy tends to get a little excited when she gets a ball in the pocket. (I told you about paybacks!)

IMG_7499

I won the game against her because she sent the 8 ball in the pocket before its time. Awwwww….too bad Kath.

My next game was against Barb Trube, our flag bearers wife. She scares me. Not that SHE scares me but the idea that I’m playing against someone who wears a purple glove when they play pool scares me. I’m just ready to pick up the 8 ball and set in the nearest pocket and call it a day.

I excused myself to go to the ladies room but in actuality when to see a lady who lives nearby so borrow HER GLOVE! (Thanks Jean!) I returned to the pool hall, gloved hand in my pocket, and waited for her to finish up the game she was playing. When done, we had the flip of the quarter and she asked what I wanted. In reply, with a great flourish of my gloved hand I told her it didn’t matter who broke to me. When she saw the glove she just howled along with all the spectators in the room. It set the tone for the game.

IMG_7502 IMG_7503

I can’t remember when I laughed so much. This game was really fun to play! The end of the game was we both had two balls left and we just couldn’t get them in. She finally had hers in and was left with the 8 ball. I got mine in and we then fought over the 8 ball. I was the one to get it in but unfortunately the cue ball followed right behind it, I had lost the game.

I was in the pool hall much longer than I expected so I ran home made dinner and ran right back out again to catch the end of the men’s ping pong tournament.

What a busy but FUN day!

Ok, I’m done.

4 comments:

Russ Krecklow said...

What a fun way to spend the day!
Congratulations, Snookie.

KarenInTheWoods said...

I am sooo glad to hear such laughter in your words. Compared to last week, this is such an uplifting blog! Good for you and so glad you are getting to do so many FUN things!!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

KarenInTheWoods said...

I am sooo glad to hear such laughter in your words. Compared to last week, this is such an uplifting blog! Good for you and so glad you are getting to do so many FUN things!!!!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
(Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

LaVon Baker said...

What fun! Rejoicing that you had a great time and back to your true self.
We love Robson Ranch brunches!
The Olympics here are not as much fun. All the RV Parks in the RGV participate in a Winter Texan Olympics that's hosted by .... I don't know who it's hosted by. There are a lot of people from Tip who participate, but it just isn't the same has having an in the park Olympics.