Tuesday, July 15, 2014

7/13-7/15/2014 A Week With MOM!

(Wilmington, DE)

We’re going “home” for a week.  I’m in serious need of some Mom time.  Fortunately, Edie and Ken, our park managers, are very understanding about this and had no hesitation about giving us a week off.


Our plan was to be on the road by 5:30 a.m. this morning.  I had everything packed except for what we absolutely needed before we hit the road.  Bob had his list of things to do completed and he even had truck packed before we turned in for what was only going to be a few hours of shuteye.  I was way too excited to go to sleep.

I set the alarm and for some reason it didn’t go off.  Luckily, Bob woke up right on time and we jumped into the day with both feet and hit the ground running.   We unlocked the gate and were on our way by 5:40 a.m.  We had a nine hour drive ahead of us.

The sun was just coming up over the mountain as we headed towards I-81.


A mist hung in the valleys.

The miles slid easily below our tires and while still in Virginia we saw our first Delaware license plate.  It’s the first one I’ve seen in quite awhile.  Yeah, I still get excited over Delaware license plates.

Several hours into our trip and we thought we were making good time.  Until…..  Until we crossed over into Maryland.

We picked up I-95 and it seemed like we could walk faster than we were traveling in the car.  Bumper to bumper.  And we won’t even go into the idiots on the road.  I’m simply amazed at how many people still text and drive and it doesn’t matter if they drive 20 mph or 70.

This was a welcome sight!

Bob is really having a hard time with traffic.  We are used to much less out west and even here in southwestern Virginia.  I’m afraid white knuckles on the steering wheel were the norm this trip.  Everyone is in such a hurry here.  Lane changing has become a sport I think and the smaller the space the better.  I nearly put my foot through my floorboard several times.  I have to admit, the language in our truck was a little salty too as we yelled at S-T-U-P-I-D drivers.

The tolls also seemed to have risen considerably since the last time we traveled I-95.  It’s a good thing I had a little stash of cash with me.

The sign I was waiting for!

The SECOND sign I was waiting for!

Since we didn’t know for absolute sure what time we would get in I had told Mom we would take care of dinner ourselves.  This worked!

Subs and a bag of chips in hand we he headed home.

There’s nothing like that first hug from a parent you haven’ seen in a year.  Trust me on this.

Dinner done we settled in for an evening of chatting and catching up.

We thought we would have been in bed early tonight and Bob was,,,,me and mom, not so much.


We laid low today.  We’re tired.  Bob spent much of the day on the computer and reading.  I had our air card for our Internet connection turned on for the week.  Internet at home!  What a concept… one we miss for sure!

Mom and I played cards all afternoon, talking and laughing all the while.  Evening brought the same thing and it just felt good to be home with my mom.


By mid morning Bob was out the door to see his best friend Bill and Mom and I did something I had been looking forward to.  We went to Boscov’s one of my very favorite department stores.  I bought a few things for our granddaughter as they were having a great sale.

A stop at the grocery store was also in order and we spent the evening watching TV, playing cards and on the Internet.

No comments: