Wednesday, July 2, 2014

7/2/2014 How Many Pairs of Shoes?????

(Damascus, VA)

Today I worked with Amanda and Bob worked with Todd, our new camp hosts.

Bob is showing Todd how he cleans and prepares the camp sites for the next campers.  Amanda worked with me in the gate house.

This was Amanda’s second day of working and she pretty much had everything down pat. Of course  it was very slow so we had lots of time to talk and get to know each other.

Amanda is the youngest fulltimer I’ve ever met.  She’s only 27 and she and Todd decided just a month ago to do the workamping thing and live in their camper.

They don’t have their full time rig yet but are living in a small travel trailer they bought for weekend getaways.  Since they’ve been here they have bought a screen room to give them more living space.

We started talking about her prior life and she told me she worked in HR and did indeed dress everyday for work.  By her own admission she has a penchant for shopping, shoes in particular.  She told me that a spare bedroom in their home was in fact her closet.  It housed racks of dresses, skirts and slacks and tops and that there were floor to ceiling racks to hold her shoe collection.  She told me it pained her to part with her wardrobe but that she had pared it down dramatically.  Trust me, she hasn’t pared it down nearly enough!

She went on to say it was especially difficult to decide which pairs of shoes to keep.  She knew she couldn’t bring all them with her.  I would think not since she had around 200 pair!  Her husband Todd was emphatic that she had to cut down the amount of clothes and shoes she was bringing along.

I have to give her credit, she really pared down the shoes!  She only brought 90 pair with her, give or take a few.  Yes, you read that right, NINETY PAIRS OF SHOES!  I haven’t owned ninety pairs of shoes in my entire adult life time!  I can’t even imagine where she has them stuffed.  Certainly in every nook and cranny in that camper!

She told what the shoes were and I’ll be honest with you, I was laughing hysterically inside as she described them.  They are mostly all six inch heels.  Black one with sparkles on them.  Black ones with pink bows.  Black ones with colored sparkles on them……

I explained to her that all she needs is sneakers, flip flops, some sandals and a pair of flats and one or two pair of heels, if she must.  I thought she was going to go into cardiac arrest.

My new friend has a lot to learn about living in a house on wheels.

No comments: