Monday, August 4, 2014

8/1-8/4/2014 Same Old, Same Old

(Damascus, VA)

Not much to say about these four days. 

The temperature has fallen a bit, our days are in the low to mid 70’s and we’re down the 50’s at night. 

The weekend was pretty busy in the campground.  The Highland Fair started in Abington today and will run for ten days.  That’s the only reason I can think of for us being pretty much filled.  Or perhaps families are getting one last camping trip in before school starts.  I’ve heard school starts August 11th in these parts.  I feel really bad for these kids having to go to school before August is even half over.  Take me back to the days when school started the first Wednesday after Labor Day.  I’m afraid those days are long gone.

We’ve decided on an exit date.  The date we’ll get off this mountain.  September 2nd!  Labor Day is on the first and we’re history the day after.  We have to get out of here.  If we don’t get some sunshine and get out from under these trees we’re gonna kill each other.  This constant shade is really starting to affect our moods.  To tell you the truth I’m surprised we’ve made it this long before it got to this point.

Amanda, one of our co-hosts has decided to start a blog too so we’ve been busy during the slow times in the gate house getting hers set up.  I like to see how excited she is to tell her and Todd’s story.

I thought there would be more vegetable stands here.  I haven’t seen a one.  Lots of people have large gardens but they don’t sell their excess at stand in the yard.  Must be a whole lot of canning going on.  That said, we are seeing local tomatoes in the grocery store and I’m thankful for that.

So that’s about it for these four days….just living life on a mountain in Virginia, counting the days till we leave.

 

No comments: