Saturday, April 14, 2007

4/14/07 Hotel Room Bound

A cold front came through last night with lots of rain and the wind kicked up to 30 mph and stayed there. It was supposed to rain all day here but by mid morning we were up to partly cloudy. The strong wind makes it very uncomfortable to be outside so we stayed in our hotel room all day leaving only to get dinner.

We watched TV, I had never seen Citizen Kane with Orson Wells before and it was very good. I can see why it is considered a classic. We took turns on the computer and read.

We were wishing we had something here to eat so that we didn't have to go out at all but that wasn't the case. We had dinner at a mom and pop restaurant called The Red Onion. It was down home buffet with things like chicken and dumplings, fried catfish, sirloin tips in gravy, hush puppies and boudain balls being some of the foods offered.

Hmmmm....boudain balls. I had heard a few days ago what a boudain ball was made of but had forgotten. I saw them listed on a menu but didn't actually see any. When I saw these "things" on the buffet line I asked the lady next to me if she knew what they were. She looked at me like I had two heads. She said in disbelief, "Why honey, those are boudain balls." I asked what was in them and she looked at me like I had just sprouted a third head! She said to me, "Honey, you aren't from around here are you?" When I told her no she just smiled and proceeded to tell me what they were made of. Its sausage and rice shaped into a ball, dipped in batter and then deep fried. YUCK! Bob had one and seemed to enjoy it but then Bob eats a lot of strange things as far as I'm concerned. I was adventurous enough to have a hush puppy and even then I thought of hush puppies and it made me think of suede tie shoes!

So its been a long day, tiring day of doing nothing.

We're hoping for better weather tomorrow.

1 comment:

LaVon Baker said...

Well, I've never heard of boudain balls either. I was thinking along the lines of some kind of animal. Well, you can take it from there. :~/ (up in Oklahoma we call them Mountain Oysters and NO I've never eaten any!)