Monday, February 23, 2009

2/22-24/2009 Winter Olympics Week Part 1

Since I've gotten so far behind on keeping this blog current I've decided to combine the Quail Run Winter Olympics into two posts.

So let's get started.

February 22, 2009 Opening Ceremonies:

This year we had the running of the torch through the entire park. Up and down every street, the torch being passed from runner to runner.

These were our flame runners.

IMG_6654

Left to right: (Front row) Bonnie M. Nancy P. (Back row) Kathy W. Lyle W. Jane S. Bob F.

The torch is passed off.

IMG_6667

Winter residents lined the streets to cheer and clap as the torch passed.

IMG_6669

IMG_6668

IMG_6675

Finally, the torch was passed to 86 year old Jerry to take the torch to the pool area to light the flame.

IMG_6678

The runners followed him in.

IMG_6677

He lights the flame.

IMG_6691

Jerry announces: Let the Games Begin!

IMG_6685

As if the day wasn't exciting enough we had a sell out crowd for the evening entertainment. Bernie and Red were coming in and the park was all abuzz about this couple and they certainly didn't disappoint!

IMG_6697

They were a riot! Being RV'ers also they had lots of stories that we could relate to and they had us rolling in the aisles.

They kept talking about this SKI they belonged to. When Red held the sign up we understood.

IMG_6699

Towards the end of their act Bernie was telling a story and Red was acting it out complete with sound effects. Below she is playing the part of a bull! Take notice of the nose ring.

IMG_6702

Afterwards, Bernie came up to me and said that if we wanted them back next year that they would be glad to come back. I jumped on that!

February 23, 2009

We've got a lot food events coming up so today Ann and I went shopping AGAIN! We stocked up on paper products and I didn't think we would get everything in the car.

IMG_6704

I haven't figured it out yet about Ann, but it seems she can't put things in the trunk without crawling in. Here she goes....

IMG_6703

Here I am filling up the back seat.

IMG_6705

This evening the Women's Pool event took place.

IMG_6711

Our friend Kathy makes a shot.

IMG_6709

Later in the evening Dominoes took center stage. Here's Sig, he and his wife Marlene are new to the park this year and they have taken part in every single event, show, get together, whatever it is, these two are there.

IMG_6716

Janet concentrating on her board. Janet was one of the two Olympic Coordinators this year. She and Carol W. made it all happen.

IMG_6719

February 24, 2009

A very busy day today in the land of Quail Run Olympics.

The morning started with the Basketball Throw. It was men first, here's Activity Staff member, Steve, taking his shots.

IMG_6722_1

Our friend and next door neighbor, Steve, taking his turn at the hoop shoot.

IMG_6731

At the same time, horseshoes are being throw for the gold.

IMG_6743

Bob throwing his best shoes. Each thrower got ten chances to throw.

IMG_6749_1

IMG_6750

My buddy, Keith, waiting his turn.

IMG_6747_1

I had to run back to the basketball court for the women's throw.

Everyone waiting patiently for their turn.

IMG_6730_1

Pat Turner taking her turn.

IMG_6733

Soon it was my turn. We each got six chances to make as many baskets as we could. I made a whole two.

IMG_6738

Meanwhile, back at the Men's Horseshoe tournament, Al W. lets one fly. He took SILVER, I believe, in this event.

IMG_6746_1

My next stop was the dart throwing contest. I was enrolled in this one too and I never EVER play a game of darts. I took neither gold or silver in this event. I was here mainly to take pictures.

IMG_6765

This is Jim D. throwing his dart. It was either get a picture of him or the dart in mid-air, I opted for the dart.

IMG_6763_1

Here's Grant, our new neighbor in the park model, throwing his dart trying for a bullseye.

IMG_6769

Had to run from here, its my turn to throw horseshoes. Another game I haven't played since last year's Olympics, when I played for the first time!

IMG_6774

I didn't take gold or silver in this event either. In fact I think I only made 10 points in my 10 tries. I think maybe I should PRACTICE next year!

IMG_6773

It was one event after another today, not only to take pictures of, but to participate in too. Next up, ladder golf!

Now this is MY event! This is what I took gold in last year!

IMG_6782

I didn't do squat this year! Well, that's not exactly true. I was tied for gold but then Sylvia stole my lead and she went home with the gold and someone else knocked me out of the running for the silver. Oh well, there's always next year.

IMG_6790_1

From ladder golf it was on to photograph shuffleboard.

IMG_6802

Dona, my friend and fellow worker takes note of the competition.

IMG_6794_1

It looks like this shuffleboard is serious business!

IMG_6796_1

Into the late afternoon the games continued. Cribbage was the game.

IMG_6808

I didn't know cribbage boards came in so many different configurations!

IMG_6809

Friend and co-worker, Darrell, plays intently.

IMG_6804

After dinner the game was pokeno! I was supposed to play in the tournament but I was so darn tired by this point that I could barely show up to take pictures.

IMG_6814

IMG_6812

This is enough for this post.

1 comment:

LadderGolfFan said...

well lot of games..I love to play these games.I Like playing pool,dominoes,basketball,dart and particularly Ladder golf..Ladder golf attracts every people from big ones to small kids..It is a game to be enjoyed by everybody..