Tuesday, August 4, 2009

8/4/2009 We're Off to Seward

We were on the road this morning by 9:30, a little later than I would have hoped but I guess any earlier would have gotten into early morning traffic.

On the way out of the base we saw this truck. I've seen this several times but could never get a picture. This truck takes care of watering all the grassy areas on the base including the housing section. Wouldn't it be nice if a big tanker truck came down your street to water and you wouldn't have to keep moving the sprinkler? From the looks of this picture it seems he's missed this grassy area a time or two, but the rest of the base is pretty green.

IMG_1009

We had Dianne sit in the front seat so that she had the benefit of the front window along with the passenger side window to see the scenery. Besides, I've traveled this road already and know what's here.

As we passed the Turnagain Arm I couldn't but wonder if this boat owner didn't maybe read last month's tide chart. Yes, this is MUD and the tide is OUT!

IMG_1010

We were really sorry it was so hazy today for her first look at Turnagain Arm.

IMG_1012

The sun tried so hard to come out.

IMG_1015

The haze did make for some interesting views all the same.

IMG_1016

IMG_1020

IMG_1021

Dianne is having bit of a time accepting all this snow on the mountains in AUGUST!

IMG_1022

IMG_1027

Two patches of snow that just can't seem to melt.

IMG_1032

IMG_1035

IMG_1036

We arrived at the Seward Army Resort where we'll be staying for the next few days safely.

After we got set up and everything in place we walked over to the Fish House to see what the fisherman had brought in today. The majority of these fish are Silver Salmon.

IMG_1046

This coming weekend is the start of the Silver Salmon Fish Derby with big bucks for prizes. Seward will be wall to wall fishermen come Friday.

Since our time is short here because we have so much to show Dianne, we didn't waste anytime and got right to it. Drizzle and all.

From here we rode out to Exit Glacier but it was so foggy we couldn't see it at all. We had even thought we would walk the trail to it but Seward has had so much rain lately that the trail was flooded and closed. We'll try again before we leave.

We then took a ride out to the Fish Ladder to show her the fish jumping. Now, now, don't worry, I'm not going to subject you to dozens of pictures of fish jumping again. Been there, done that. Now that's not to say that I won't post at least one.

We saw this sockeye salmon, "resting" before making his way to the final approach to the jump.

IMG_1047

Look closely for the "reds" making their way upstream.

IMG_1049

I got one really good picture of a fish jumping the ladder. I wish you could have heard how loud it was when this fish smacked down on the floor of the ladder. He had to knock himself half senseless but since he was swimming against the rushing tide he didn't have time to worry about that, he had to SWIM to avoid getting pushed back into the pool below. He did make it.

IMG_1071

Unless you've witnessed what these fish go through to get upstream you really can't appreciate how darn hard they've worked to get here.

Spending more time here than we anticipated, because its just so darn fascinating to watch, we decided to eat out when our tummies started rumbling. If we had gone home to eat it would have way late by the time dinner was ready. We headed downtown and ended up at the Train Wreck. Ohhhh, if we had only known just how appropriate that name is!

IMG_1072

Yep, train cars. Actually, only one car is the restaurant. Half of it is the open kitchen and the other half is the "dining room", complete with varnished plywood tables and benches for seating. All six booths of it.

We were lucky enough, fortunate enough, next in line to be seated. Oh, I don't know what it was, but I just didn't have a good feeling about this although the place was packed with a waiting line. That alone should have told me good things were to come but there was this nagging thought in the back of my mind.

The wait was longer than we would have liked because we were hungry but it was busy and that's the way it was.

I will NEVER eat in an establishment again where I can see the kitchen. NEVER! I watched one of the fellows pour baked beans from a plastic bowl into a pot, wipe the edge of the bowl and then lick his fingers. Now I know what you're thinking. That probably happens in the BEST of restaurants and I'm sure it does, but I don't SEE those kitchens. That old adage is true, what you don't know doesn't hurt you. It kind of turned my stomach but I kept it to myself.

Our burgers were finally served and they were HUGE! Each was served with baked beans (which I KNEW I wasn't eating!!!) and cole slaw. When your meal consist of something with bread or a roll involved, cole slaw should be served on the side. ON THE SIDE! IN ITS OWN BOWL! The Train Wreck doesn't do that. Oh no, cole slaw with an abundance of mayo goes right on the plate with your burger in its ROLL. Our waitress was busy telling new arrivals how long the wait would be so our plates sat on the counter for 3 minutes or so.

Finally delivered, we all dug in. I picked up my hamburger and the bottom roll was soaked through with cole slaw juice. Uh-uh, no way, no how, I'm not eating this. You all know what a picky eater I am, this was NOT going to work. We grabbed her attention to let her know that I needed a new bottom roll. She let the guy in the kitchen know and I don't think he was too happy. Tough noogies! He was very busy so I sat there with my hamburger upside down in my hand waiting for the replacement roll. I couldn't set it down, my plate was a sea of cole slaw juice. By this point I'm wishing we had decided to eat at eight and had just gone home and made dinner. Bottom roll finally delivered I could start eating like my table mates. They were each having a hard time getting the burgers in their mouths too. They were just so big! The rolls were square and Texas toast thick. Couple that with a thick burger, lettuce, tomato and onion, in some cases bacon and in another smothered in mushrooms, well its alot to get your mouth around. Dianne eventually gave up and took off everything she could and Bob cut his into smaller pieces hoping that would help.

None of us finished our meals. Too much hamburger, too juicy a cole slaw and well the baked beans...lets not even go there.

So this was our first full day with Di here. A scenic drive, an attempt to see a glacier, a visit to a fish ladder, a train wreck of a meal and our day is done except for some TV back at the house.

Tomorrow....the Sea Life Center.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Winter.