Friday, August 7, 2009

8/7/2009 Moving to Homer, Alaska

Our time in Seward has come to an end and its time to move on. I just love this town. If asked today where I wanted to live in Alaska it would be Seward, hands down. It has everything I need.

I took one last parting shot of our view here in this campground.

IMG_1346

Our trip to Ninilchik, where we'll be staying was uneventful and the time passed quickly. Dianne and I were on the lookout for a bear or a moose but none were to be seen.

When we got on the other side of the peninsula we found Mt. Redoubt to be visible. Visible....not crystal clear, but visible. And she was smoking!

IMG_1353

Getting set up in the Alaskan Angler Campground we decided to go into Homer to get dinner. The campground we are in is nothing fancy, but we have full hookups and cable. It is a Passport America campground so we only pay $20.60 a night including tax. Had we been here last month it would have been double. We are so happy with our Passport America membership. We extended our membership in May and its already paid for itself, several times over even.

Dianne is riding in the front seat and I couldn't wait to see and hear her reaction the first time she was the Spit area. I heard the awaited for, "wow" and "oh my gosh, look at that" and the ever popular "Oh, I've got goose bumps!" and let's not forget the expected, "this is just beautiful". Nope, she didn't let us down at all.

IMG_1358

I brought out the "big" lens to get a closeup of the Spit.

IMG_1360

I evidently played around with a button on the camera and this was the result. Pretty cool. I must have turned it to black and white and not realized it.

IMG_1362

Dianne brought her hometown newspaper with her and we took her picture holding it up in front of the Homer sign. She'll email to the editor and her picture will appear in the paper.

IMG_1365

In addition, we had to take a close-up so that the editor could actually see it the right paper being held up.

We did a quick run up and down the five mile long spit and decided on dinner here. I believe its called Pescadoro's We had stopped in the Lands End Restaurant and checked out the menu but decided you were definitely paying for the view there. We just thought $32.00 for a strip steak was on the high side.

IMG_1443

It was a combination seafood/Mexican restaurant. Bob ordered the halibut, Dianne ordered the king crab legs and I ordered ....uh... a hamburger! Bob just rolled his eyes. Dianne wanted to know why I wasn't ordering fresh seafood seeing as how we are surrounded by water. Its what I wanted.

We'll come back here tomorrow and spend the day, show Dianne the sights and take lots of pictures.

No comments: