Sunday, April 4, 2010

4/4/2010 And the Season Ends…..

Today is our last full day in Quail Run for this season. Many mixed emotions to say the least.

We started early this morning gathering more last minute things we decided to take after all. I went through all of the kitchen cabinets and drawers pulling out little things like my veggie peeler, my favorite paring knife and other similar things that I had brought from the rig last October. My goal this summer is to get duplicates so that I don’t have to move these little things back and forth anymore! Why didn’t I do this this winter?

By early afternoon the trips to the 5th wheel had lessened considerably and we turned to cleaning mode so that we come back to a clean house next year. Bob filled all of our water jugs that we’ll leave throughout the house, so that was one more job out of the way that won’t have to be addressed in the morning.

Our original game plan was to leave today but we are waiting on mail to arrive from Delaware.

Late afternoon brought visitors. George and Nancy Reid stopped by as they are in the area for a few weeks. Since we met them our first year here, three seasons ago, we have seen them in Gillette, Wyoming, Salt Lake City, Utah, back here twice and i just know we’ll see them on the road again at some point. Of course we’ll see them next winter, without a doubt, because they are having a home built in Casa Grande.

So we’re sitting in the living room of the park model and I’m looking at George as he talks to me and I suddenly felt dizzy and nauseous. I thought to myself, “Oh no, I’m going to be sick” but I had absolutely no reason for this to come on so suddenly. I just didn’t understand it. Within seconds, all four of us realize that something is happening but we don’t know what. The mini blinds in the windows started shifting back and forth and Bob pointed out the screen of the open laptop sitting on the sofa was moving and then we all looked at the hanging light over the dining room table and it was really swinging back and forth. Our chairs were trembling and we could feel the floor move. Oh. My. Gosh! We were experiencing an earthquake, a first for all of us. Well, a first in that it was one that actually lasted a little while, not like the two second tremors we felt in Alaska last summer. This lasted a good 30 seconds. Count out 30 seconds to yourself, to have your room moving around you, well, trust me, that’s quite a long time. Especially for a first time experience. I saw our neighbor, Barb, come out of her place and I yelled over, “Did you feel that?” She was so relieved that we did because she thought something was wrong her. We soon turned on the TV only to find out that, yes indeed, an 7.2 earthquake had happened in Baja, Mexico, 275 miles away. I talked with others in the park and several had felt dizzy and nauseous and this was their first earthquake too. So earthquake experienced readers,,,,is this normal? Do a lot of people get dizzy during an earthquake? Let me know, I’m curious now.

For our Easter dinner I had put a roast and all the trimmings in the crock pot. I figured that was the easiest thing to do considering the busy day we were going to have.

After dinner Bob found his way to his recliner, a million thoughts running through his head on the last minute things that had to be done before we pull out tomorrow. I watched this week’s episode of Amazing Race then started my “so long for the season” visits.

Another season down. I guess its safe to say that the sun has set on yet another Quail Run season.

IMG_4327

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

everything you felt during earthquake is normal my couch was rocking and i got real nausiated and blinds were swaying been in southern calif along time its all normal

LaVon Baker said...

Didn't feel a thing. We were in the mountains in a truck on a rough rock road. We may have even caused the earthquake. ;-) It's probably a good thing I didn't feel it... we'd be in Texas by now!