Thursday, April 8, 2010

4/8/2010 Major Shopping Trip

I couldn’t make a meal out of what we had in the 5th wheel if my life depended on it. Oh wait, that not’s true. I guess, if really pressed and it was a matter of life and death, I could throw something together.

There were those shriveled up, soft, slightly gray, half dozen radishes that hadn’t gotten thrown out yet and some lettuce that had more brown edges than green leaves and a way too soft tomato that could have sufficed for a salad. One course down.

For the main course I could cook up some minute steaks that have a really bad case of freezer burn and a one serving sized can of sauerkraut. Of course there are no rolls or even bread for the steak sandwiches I usually make with the minutes steaks. Hmmmm….yummy!

For dessert, well there I run into a problem. I have a cake mix on hand but no eggs. I have the fixin’s for chocolate chip cookies, but again, no eggs. Oh wait, semi sweet chocolate chips….yep, dessert!

I guess I wasn’t in such dire straits after all. Yeah, right! I could hear Bob now if I put that in front of him.

So needless to say it was time to go grocery shopping. No need for a shopping list because we need EVERYTHING!

So we set out for the commissary, hungry no less. Of course Bob is with me so I’ll spend an extra $30 – $40, that goes without saying.

There was a great sale on Green Giant canned corn and green beans, the only way Bob will eat either of these veggies, thirty five cents a can.

We went up and down every aisle, save the “baby” aisle and we loaded our cart to nearly overflowing. Since the commissary is so good about affixing coupons to the shelves I was able to collect quite a few as we shopped.

Now here is where I experienced something I haven’t seen before. I didn’t have to load the items on the conveyor belt, a commissary worker did it for me and of course everything was bagged by a commissary worker and taken to the truck and loaded by a commissary worker. All we had to do was pick it out and pay for it.

This only a quarter the bags we had….

IMG_4389

and what was still in the truck…

IMG_4388

We shouldn’t have to buy anything other than bread, milk and fresh veggies for the next month. Both freezers are fully stocked and I have bags under the dining room table because there isn’t enough space in the cabinets for the boxes, cans and bottles we brought in.

Our bill started just over $300.00 and we walked out paying $271.00 after coupons. Not bad, not bad at all.

3 comments:

DeWayne and Joy said...

Isn't it amazing how much it costs to eat these days? Glad you're stocked up for a while and I love your carpet, by the way.:) So, will you guys be coming anywhere near Texarkana on your way to Delaware? And is it miserably hot in El Paso yet? Happy Trails!

Joy and DeWayne

LaVon Baker said...

For Bob's sake, I'm glad you went shopping!!

Peggy & Bill said...

Why can't I get my son to take the time to take me to a commissary?????
He must think Mom & Dad don't need to save money!!!!