Friday, August 24, 2012

8/24/2012 I Don’t Do Spiders!

(Rehoboth Beach, DE)


As the title says, I don’t do spiders! In any way, shape or form.


When I went to the marina this morning I was getting my golf cart ready, as usual, and I happen to look up over the seat and saw this side to side and top to bottom spider web framed by the seat, roof and roof supports. And then I saw IT! This spider with a body the size of dime and legs that extended out to a good inch to an inch and a half. It may as well have been as big as THIS as far as I was concerned!



Oh it creeps me out just to post this picture!


Anyway, the spider must have seen me because it ran up into a crevice where the roof meets the roof support. Oh great, what do I do now? I can’t leave it there because sure as I my name is Snookie Quinn it will crawl the length of the roof support all the way around to the front of the cart and then drop down while I’m driving which causes a breeze and it will blow back towards me and drop down the front of my shirt! Ewwww,,,I feel like something is crawling all over me now, why did I ever start this post?


So I keep looking over my shoulder as I drive the golf cart over to the boatyard. I see Ian first and tell him that I need a hero. He asks what the problem is and I tell him and he hands me a can of OFF. “Uh, no Ian, that isn’t going to work, you need to come out and KILL it!” He does look for it and can see it up in the crevice between the roof and the support. He tries his handy 8 in 1 tool but the pliers part isn’t long enough. He grabs a pair of needle nose pliers out of a nearby tool chest and is successful in nabbing that creepy-crawly thing and disposing of it.


Being me, I think out loud and say, “Gee, I hope it didn’t lay eggs in there.” Ian assured me that it didn’t. I asked him how he could be so sure and he replied that it was a male spider. I asked how he knew that and deadpanned, “I have good eyesight.” So the spider was gone and I could go on with my day. Of course the rest of the morning I did feel imaginary things crawling up my leg every so often.


I got through the rest of the morning and it was rough because it just wasn’t busy. I was working during the low tide but things would certainly pick up for Bob during the afternoon shift when the tide was coming in.


I spent the afternoon on the beach with forever friend, Elaine. We haven’t seen nearly as much of each other as we hoped to this summer due to our trips to Wilmington on days off, her frequent houseguests, rainy weather, way too hot for the beach weather and sometimes the ever popular reason, life just gets in the way.


We sure did enjoy ourselves today. I don’t think there was a 20 second pause in our conversation the whole afternoon.


That said, the very end of our beach time posed a problem. You see, we kept talking and I was aware that I had to go to the bathroom and I thought if I just didn’t think about it, it would go away. I used to be able to do that. Now that I’m older, eh, not so much anymore. So I sat there enjoying this girlfriend time until I could no longer ignore that my bladder was screaming,,,,,


“EMPTY ME!” “NOW!” “EMPTY ME NOW OR I’M GOING TO BUST WIDE OPEN!!!”


Now it was bad enough that I was going to have take the time to gather my belongings and trudge through the sand to get to the uphill ramp, which just goes on forever, which would ultimately lead me to the ladies room but I just didn’t think I was going to make it. I had to stop several times during that uphill climb and do a very, very modified version of the pee-pee dance, in hopes that I could hold it just a few minutes longer. Why, oh why, didn’t I keep up with those kegel exercises? Is it too late to start them again now? Elaine took my beach chair and my beach bag in hopes that in doing so I could walk faster. While I appreciated her offer its very difficult to walk with your legs squeezed tightly together from the knees up. I finally made it to the bathroom and quickly found an empty stall. I was kicking myself for putting my T-shirt on over my bathing suit because I had to take the time to take that off first. Needless to say there was no time to assume the stance, oh hell, I was lucky I could even hover at this point. Thankfully, the Goddess of Urine was looking over me and I didn’t pee on myself. Oh, and I did check to see if the toilet had a lid or not. It didn’t. (Remember this?) (Note to self: When the urge strikes,,,,GO!)


Bob’s sister, Carol, and her husband are down this weekend with two of their grandchildren. Not with us, they have their own RV. We all had Capriotti’s subs and steak sandwiches for dinner and sat around outside until the bugs chased us in.


Rain is predicted for the weekend, we’ll have to see how things play out.


Since we had to come in I jumped on the computer to see what was happening in the Facebook world and to play my next moves in the Scrabble games I have going on.


I also checked out the blog because I’ve been watching the stat counter closely these past few days. This blog has hit a milestone. Thanks to you frequent and not so frequent readers my stat counter has turned 250,000 hits! Now I have to be honest here. When I checked it the counter was reading 249,996. Just four more page views. I had to do it. I refreshed the page and expected to see 249,997 but instead saw 249,998 because someone had come to the blog. I had to act fast if I was going to do it. I refreshed again and then again. It was one time I was hoping no one was coming to read my blog! I did it!


IMG_2860


Thank you readers! I appreciate every one of you!

No comments: