Wednesday, September 19, 2007

9/16/07 A Trip Back in Time

It's still a bit chilly here in Stanton, MO, today was a sweatshirt day.

Everything is pretty much put where it belongs now except for those things we'll use before hit the road. The kitchen has been declared off limits and the bubble wrap is between the glass bowls and layered with the dishes.

One thing we wanted to do before left this area was to go through The Toy Museum that is located right around the corner on the famed Route 66. We had met Bruce Barnes, owner of the museum, early in our stay here as he comes in the campground store for morning coffee several times a week.

Bob, nor I, expected what we saw. Our childhoods came rushing back to us as we saw toys that we played with as children. Tonka trucks, Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, baby dolls and games. Several in original boxes.

On top of the display cases is a train that Bruce or his wife turns on with the flip of a switch behind the counter when one goes through the door to the main museum.

Some of the toys date back to the late 1800's and go on though the 60's.

I asked Bruce how all this started and he replied, "When I was a kid I only had three toys because we didn't have much money, today I have over five thousand". (Valued at over a half a million dollars)

Some of his toys are one of only two known in existence. A rare treat to see.

This is a Patty Playpal doll, I had one as a little girl, in fact, I still have her, she's in my parents attic. Mine doesn't have the original dress and pinafore anymore and who knows where the patent leather Maryjane shoes went.

Even the Fab Four have a special place in this museum.

A little girl's stove from the 1930's.

Remember Howdy Doody?

We spent hours on end with these as kids......

Every little boys dream...


This man loves his toys, he takes much pride in showing them off and you can hear the joy in his voice when he tells you the history of his treasures.

So many times Bob and I said, "Oh, I remember that, I had one of those".

I asked Bruce if he buys toys that are coming out today and he said no, unless something really catches his eye.

It was good to walk down memory lane, it brought back many fond memories of happy days gone by.

























































No comments: