Saturday, September 8, 2007

9/6/07 Did I Say We Needed Rain????

We've been without much needed rain for so long now and we're finally getting it. That's a good thing, in a way, kinda, sorta. I mean I know we really, really need it BUT, and you just know there had to be a but, we don't want it right now! Bob started the final roof yesterday and it poured today so no work got done on it which sets us back a day. My hours were even cut back as I didn't have to report to work until 3 today.




So we watched TV, played on the computer and read for awhile.



Our new camera arrived! Oh my gosh, there are so many instructional cd's and books with it! It will probably take me a year to figure out how to use everything on it. We bought the Canon Rebel XTI digital camera. Our friends, Bobby and Shelly have the same camera and it takes beautiful pictures so I'm anxious to get started with it.



I met a couple from the UK here in the campground today. They have rented a RV to travel Route 66. They arrived in Chicago on Monday and picked up the RV on Wednesday. They made it this far and stopped for the night. They are having a few problems with it and will go to a dealership to get some things taken care of before they are on their way. Even though we all spoke English it was a struggle at times to understand each other. Not the accents so much but the use of words. I used truck, they used lorrie, I used stove, they used hub and on and on it went.



It was fun getting their perspective of the land we call home. They were amazed at the prices here. It is so cheap to them! For instance they bought corn on the cob, four for a dollar and just simply couldn't get over the price. Back in the UK they pay two bucks for one ear. Gas was another one, after they did the conversion of pounds to dollars they shared that they are paying twenty dollars for a gallon of "petrol".



They also were surprised to find that we are all on a first name basis for the most part. They said that in the UK one is NEVER addressed by their given name without knowing the person and being given permission to call them by their first names. Things sure are different here.



As I said earlier they are here to travel Route 66. They told me that everyone in the United Kingdom knows about Route 66 and they were surprised that it really isn't such a big deal here. Well, in that respect I have to agree with them. We are a quarter mile off Route 66 and I still can't get use to the locals referring to it as the "service road". It runs along side of I-44.



We have decided that when we are on the road again we'll travel The Mother Road as much as we can as we head west.

All too soon the rain came again and we had to go inside. We wished them well and safe travels.

The weatherman says rain again for tomorrow. This feels like Texas all over again.


No comments: