Wednesday, March 9, 2011

3/9/2011 Quail Run’s First Art Show

I am in awe. I am in awe of the talent in this park. Whether it be music, painting, singing, jewelry making, quilt making or any other avenue of expressing oneself,,,,I am in awe. Quail Run has one heckuvalotta talented people!

Today was the first, of what will probably be many, art shows.

So welcome, follow along as I take you to this, the first……

IMG_7778

The show started at 2:30 but I got there at two so I could take pictures before the masses descended. There was some concern that not many would come because yesterday 50 golfers took out of here for a road trip to play in Parker, AZ. That worry was needless.

IMG_7777

The Art Show was held on the side of Keith and Lorraine Paddick’s place as Lorraine held “Painting with Lorraine” classes this year. Not all of these artists studied under her, many of them are artists in their own right and all artists were welcome to show their work.

Here are some of the paintings from our very own Quail Run artists. They are simply amazing and if I haven’t said it before,,,,I am just in awe.

IMG_7779

IMG_7780

Arches. This painting brought back pleasant memories of our trip to Arches National Park.

IMG_7781

Our neighbor Karen painted this one and this is one of many she had at the show.

IMG_7782

Cactus Carl painted this one, I’ve seen it many times on the wall in his and Sandy’s place.

IMG_7783

Betty Vermeer, one of the lady’s in the Activities Department painted all of these and sold quite a few of hers.

IMG_7784

One of Lorraine’s many paintings.

IMG_7785

Karen always has a painting, or two, going. Karen also sold many of her works.

IMG_7786

In our travels we see lots of painted satellite dishes.

IMG_7787

IMG_7788

Ok, be honest now,,,,raise your hand if you said yourself, “That looks like a Kincaid” when you saw the painting above.

Karen’s going to paint me a set of these next fall for our park model when I decide what colors we’re going to paint.

IMG_7789

This is one of many that our friend Mike painted. This is my most favorite one and I’m hoping to having this on my wall in the 5th wheel someday. We are very fortunate to have one of his paintings already. I told him I love sunsets and he painted one for us and brought it over a week or so ago. When I get it on the wall I’ll take a picture of it and show you. In the meantime,,,,I want this one!

IMG_7790

More from Mike…..

IMG_7791

Everyone wanted this one! My friend Kathy was the first to show interest so she got it. Mike will busy painting more.

IMG_7796

I understand Karen did this one from a photograph.

IMG_7793

Even the quails were interested in what was going on.

IMG_7795

Two thirty finally came around and soon I didn’t have the art show area to myself anymore.

Frank MaGuire started tickling the ivories with some soft background music, the wine bottles had their corks popped and plates and plates of cheese, crackers and other goodies were laid out for the guests. (no, it was not cold here, Frank is just most comfortable in a sweatshirt, it reached the high 80’s today)

IMG_7797

Diane takes in all the beautiful paintings that are displayed.

IMG_7800

Sunshine, wine and friends….what could be better?

IMG_7801

I think that Nancy is thinking…….”Hmmm, I have the perfect spot for that one!”

IMG_7802

IMG_7804

Carol taking in the “Kincaid like” painting.

IMG_7809

Karen not only paints, she does gourds too!

IMG_7810

Dale, explaining the technique of “negative painting”.

IMG_7811

I had taken a picture of Dale’s “negative paintings” but the sun and the glare off the glass….well, it just didn’t work for a good photo. To explain this type of painting in very primitive layman’s terms, from someone who can’t draw a straight line without a ruler…..I’ll try to tell you what this means. She paints over the entire canvas the lightest shade of the main color she is going to use. Dale then draws a picture with pencil, I guess, on the canvas. The idea is to paint around the subject of your painting. Let’s say its flowers, she’ll put layer upon layer of paint, some areas darker than others around the outline of her subject. In the end the subject (flowers in my example) will be the lightest shade of the main color she uses and with the shading she does with the different layers…well, its just beautiful! She isn’t home as I type this or I would run over and get a photo of one of her negative paintings. I will get one before she leaves.

Pat and Carol deep in conversation.

IMG_7813

Busy hands while everyone mingles and enjoys the afternoon.

IMG_7807

Our painting artists…….

IMG_7815

The group wouldn’t be complete if we didn’t add in the musical talent. I think Frank was a little shy,,,he was trying to hide behind that post!

IMG_7817

What an afternoon this was! Great weather, good food/wine, fantastic music and a chance to enjoy the wonderful talents of some pretty wonderful people friends. I’m looking forward to next year’s already.

4 comments:

LaVon Baker said...

Beautiful paintings, but my favorite picture is the one of Frank's hands on the keyboard. Has he seen that picture? Helen will love it!

Tracy said...

Wow what beautiful pieces of artwork there. Oh how I wish I had a talent.

Twentynine Palms Hotels said...

Nice post! Nice pictures! And beautiful paintings. They really are awe-inspiring. I have a few paintings of my own but I made it a long time ago and now, I can't find time to do it anymore.

Unknown said...

Just wanted to see what y'all are doing....
Gary/Louise bought a place here in our park as well... Bill/Ann have been here all winter and leaving April 10th...
It has been a good year, my e-mails don't get through to you... sorry.
As we can see, you-s are still going strong... keep it up...
Port Richey, Florida... Dale/Karen