Friday, March 1, 2013

3/1/2013 A Good Night’s Sleep….AT LAST!

(Arizona City, AZ)

The mattress delivery people called early this morning, a little after seven, to let me know that my delivery time was between 12:30 and 3:30 p.m..  This is good.  I was afraid it would be this morning and we had our mini golf at ten and I sure didn’t want to miss that.

After mini golf I stripped the bed and took everything to the laundry.  I was going to make this the best night’s sleep in every way I could.

Around three they arrived.  In less than 15 minutes they had that thing that was supposed to pass for a mattress out and our new one in place.

IMG_4793
Yes, that’s the space we need to fill.

Back in December I bought a four inch foam topper in hopes that it would make that sorry excuse for a mattress better.  It didn’t.  I had thought I would put a notice up on the notices board in the laundry room that I had it for sale but then thought, we wouldn’t buy a used mattress topper and very probably no one else would either.  Even if it was only a few months old and super clean,,,,nope, we just wouldn’t go there.  So I had an idea….and Bob had the same one.

We measured the space we had to fill and cut the topper into four sections just that width.  Bob brought out the chalk line tool he uses to make a cutting line and then with a good sized razor blade made the cuts.

IMG_4782

In no time we had a stack of four, eleven and a half inch wide foam pieces. 

IMG_4795

We left a little room to make making the bed a little easier.  With the top end of the mattress between the wall and the built in night stand it was awkward at best to get the fitted mattress pad and sheet on.

I had to a friend here in the park about helping me make a cover but then I remembered I had a bottom sheet for a queen bed in the linen closet.  We fitted the sheet around the stack of foam and then kept turning the whole thing to wrap the sheet all the around, taking our time to fit the ends in neatly. 

IMG_4796

It was a perfect fit!

IMG_4797

With the mattress pad on, you wouldn’t even know if you didn’t know.

IMG_4800

When its completely made with sheets and bedspread, you’d never know.

IMG_4803
So we ended up saving an additional $150.00 for using our noodles and making do with what we had.  Since the stack of foam is on the side I sleep on its just a matter of scooting over eleven and a half inches to get on the very comfortable queen mattress.  That’s a small price to pay for a great night’s sleep!

Happy campers live here!

2 comments:

Allison said...

Clever! I was wondering what you were going to do with that mattress. Thanks for sharing, I shall file your tip away for future use.

KarenInTheWoods said...


You came up with a really good solution to the whole mattress fitting problem, and used up the parts of the other one in the process. Good thinking!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Karen and Steve
The USA Is Our Big Backyard
http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com