Tuesday, December 16, 2014

12/16/2014 Shopping, Shopping, Shopping

(Arizona City, AZ)

As I’ve mentioned in past posts I have been collecting money from the residents here in Quail Run to help a family that consists of grandparents and four grandchildren who came to them unexpectedly.  And Quail Run gave.  And they gave big.  $670.00 worth of big.

Yesterday I had a chance to talk to the school nurse who is the coordinator for the Angel Tree program.  I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of information back.  I found that the family was getting help from other sources as well as what we had planned.  This changes the whole ball game now.  We can do so much more now.  I went through all the slips from the school and made note of what parents were asking for in addition to the toys and clothes for their children.  I took notice that all of them were asking for hygiene products in addition to other special requests.  They asked for shampoo, toothpaste, lotion, toothbrushes, soap, toilet paper and the list goes on.  These things are not covered under the food stamp program.
 
The special requests included a space heater, pots and pans and water to name a few.
 
So today, Bonnie L., Jodee and I went shopping.

Our first stop was Sam’s Club and we bought a space heater for the family that doesn’t have heat.  Next stop was Walmart to buy pots and pans.  While there we bought towels and pillows for a family of six.  On to Big Lots and we bought gallons of water for the family that has to haul their water.  Something you and I certainly take for granted.
 
Our next stop was at the Dollar Store.  We cleared the shelves of toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotions.  We then moved on to dish detergent and laundry detergent.  We spent just over $300 in the Dollar Store.

These are all our carts.

IMG_1464
 
We fllled the cars and headed back to Quail Run.

We unloaded the vehicles and started lining up the stuff we bought so that it would be easy to fill the bags when the time came.

Lucky for us Kim was walking by and asked if we needed help unloading.  Needless to say we took her up on that.

IMG_1470

IMG_1471
 
IMG_1472
Now on top of all this I’m getting sick.  It started over the weekend with a sore throat and now its moved to my chest.  I’m having a hard time breathing.  I don’t need pneumonia now.

More money to spend tomorrow!

No comments: