Monday, December 8, 2014

12/8/2014 An Idea Forms

(Arizona City, AZ)

I sat at the dining room table playing Candy Crush, a game I play on Facebook, but I couldn’t concentrate on my game.  I kept getting the picture of the Angel Tree slips in my mind’s eye.  Not the side where we found boy or girl, their age and wants.  No, the flip side.  This is where the parents wrote needs for the family.  Towels, pillows, blankets, shampoo, lotion, toothpaste, a heater and water.  My mind kept drifting back to those sides of the Angel Tree slips.  Not all of them had it, a dozen or so at most.  I couldn’t stop thinking about them.  Basic human needs.  Blankets, towels, hygiene products.  Things you and I don’t even give a second thought to.

There was one family I heard about in particular.  A set of grandparents who unexpectedly got custody of four grandchildren.  Four grandchildren they were ill-prepared to receive and to take care of.  This was the family that was asking for pillows, towels, blankets and hygiene products and food.

I knew I had to do something to help.  Ideas and thoughts kept tumbling through my mind on the how I was going to do this.  I knew I couldn’t fill this need on my own.  Bob and I have our kids and grandkids we wanted to give Christmas gifts to and we have our own bills just like everyone else.  I also know that I live in a very giving community of people.  I would turn to our family in Quail Run.

I am one of three administrators on the Quail Run Facebook page.  I write the majority of the posts on the page and used that as my platform to reach out to the community.  I would ask each Quail Runner to donate $5.00.  Certainly doable and a request I knew our community would embrace.

So I set things in motion.  I wrote up the plea for the needed funds and posted it.  Now I just had to wait to see who would respond.  I know they won’t let me down.

If you’d like to see what goes on in our park you can check out our Facebook page.  Just type Quail Run RV Park in the search box on your Facebook page.  If you don’t have your own page just Google Quail Run RV Park Facebook Page or follow this LINK.  Be sure to click on the one that says Arizona City if you Google it.

No comments: