Saturday, August 18, 2007

8/11/07 This Site Needs to be Cleaned!

Traffic on the Meramec River today was extremely busy. All of the surrounding outfits that do "floats" were sold out as we were. We ran two buses today and kept them busy running back and forth taking floaters to the river and the bringing them back.



Our first float is at 8:30am and we started out with two buses even at that early hour. The Gateway Winnies were on one bus along with some smaller groups and the Pritchards had the other bus. I didn't think we'd get the latter group out as they were insisting that each of the 30 + members of the group pay individually. That would have been a nightmare as some were in canoes and the rest in rafts. Barb suggested that one person be responsible for gathering the $700 + they owed but somehow they weren't hearing that. They kept coming up and trying to pay for half a canoe or one sixth of a raft. I had finally had enough and made the announcement that this was not going to work and we weren't going to do it that way. Once we had their attention, Barb again told them to pick someone as their leader and give the money to them. They finally understood. It took awhile but the money was finally paid and they were on their way.



We repeated this process of getting everyone to the river three more times before the day was over.



I had reason to ride through the campground in the golf cart and took notice of the sites that the Pritchard's had. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! TRASH....EVERYWHERE! Empty cans and bottles, empty ice bags and beer cases, empty potato chip bags, garbage just everywhere you looked. I got back to the office and went to work on writing up a notice that I placed at each cabin they rented, along with trash bags, telling them that the site was to be cleaned up immediately! I knew they wouldn't be back for quite a while so I just sat back and waited. I knew the fireworks were coming. Sure enough in late afternoon Papa Pritchard made his way to the office, note in hand. He stopped on my side of the counter but was looking at Barb. She was busy checking a camper in so I told him I left that note at his site. Then he went off! "I'm paying $60.00 a night and I don't appreciate this note one bit!" Take my word for it, what I WANTED to say and I what I did say are two different things. I calmly told him that the trash all over the place was not acceptable and that it was to be cleaned up and there was nothing more to say about it. He threw the note at me and stormed out. Shortly afterward I took another ride and everything was bagged up. Mark one up for Snookie! In hindsight I wish I had taken pictures of the sites to post here.



On top of being extremely busy with floaters today we had a dinner to cater for the Winnebago owners in the clubhouse. Dan and Barb were busy in the kitchen taking care of that so I had the desk and store sales to cover. It seemed like all I was selling was ice since we were in the triple digits on the thermometer.



Finally it was seven and time for me to be done for the day. I hurried home, ate dinner and made my way back to the office for the entertainment. We had "Papa T" in the cafe tonite to sing for us.






I didn't know his music as he sang songs he wrote but he was very good and boy could he play that guitar! He also had music playing in the background so it sounded like there was a whole band there. The audience wasn't all that large even though notices were put at each campsite to come join us. I think people were just too hot to stay indoors and that the majority of the campers were in the pool.

I'm sure we all wondered what this night would bring considering one group (grin) had spent their day drinking.

These temps have to break soon, we can't take too many more 100 + days.



No comments: