Wednesday, August 8, 2007

8/7/07 Major Decision Made Today

Another hot one here today, and probably where you are too. This heat has zapped our energy so much that we don't have enough to get out of our way.

The five little swallows that I told you about yesterday are now four little swallows and they are out of the nest. On the way back from my grocery run yesterday I pulled up in front of the office to take a picture of all five of them. When I looked up at the nest I saw one hanging. It seems the little bird had gotten some kind of grass or something wrapped around its neck and when it flew or jumped it must have tightened and hung the poor little thing. I didn't take notice of the other four huddled all together on the ground right under the nest. That is, not until I started being dive bombed by the adult swallows. When I stepped back I saw movement out of the corner of my eye and then saw them all huddled. My first thought was, "Oh no, Miss Kitty (the campground cat) will get these poor babies." Shortly after, the floaters returned and the adult swallows just went nuts because the people had their cars parked in same area where their offspring were. You never heard such noise with these adults birds chirping or seen such airborne acrobatics as they tried to get the unsuspecting floaters away from the area. I felt sorry for them, they were doing everything they could to protect their surviving babies. I had to leave, I couldn't watch anymore and won't know until tomorrow if Miss Kitty found these little birds. They are out of the nest but are unable to fly as yet.

When I got back from my grocery store trip I found that Bob had put our new clock on the wall that we bought at KMart yesterday. Isn't it pretty?


We spent most of our computer time today looking at campgrounds in Arizona. We have to get an idea of where we want to go when we make our way there in November. We can go where ever we want as we have made an important decision today. We have decided that we won't be workamping anymore. Bob is working much harder than he has in years for a mere fraction of the wages that he used to make. He just doesn't have to do that anymore. Yes, we knew we wouldn't make the wages we were used to but we didn't expect him to be doing new or major construction or roofing for that matter. That's hard work! Much too hard, especially in this heat. Bob had this thought that campground maintenance would be just that, maintenance. The grass cutting, the weedwhacking, painting, unclogging drains and the such. He didn't think he would be tasked with replacing roofs or renovating bathrooms/showers like he was in Florida but this sure isn't something he signed on for. So rather than be put in this position again we have decided that we won't be looking for work in the future, at least not in campgrounds. Thankfully, we have the means so that we are able to do this.

Bob isn't one to just sit around so when we settle in for the winter, somewhere in the warmer climes of Arizona, he'll let it be known that he has knowledge and skills and work will undoubtedly come his way. There will be rig owners that will want a shelf put up or need something repaired. At least he can decide when he'll work and what jobs he'll take on. I was talking to a fulltiming friend of ours the other day and she mentioned that her husband had built a set of wooden steps for the entrance of their rig and before he knew it people were knocking on the door wanting him to build them some. That would be perfect for Bob. The ball will definitely be in his court.

We may look into volunteering as camphosts in federal or state parks in the future but for now we'll live our dream this way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking that the major construction projects Bob has been doing seems like more than a "workamper" job. Good luck relaxing.

Ann - suncoast

Unknown said...

I agree, a roofing company would have charged much much more. I feel like they took advantage.