Thursday, August 30, 2007

8/29/07 Welcome to the Campground, SPORT!

Another warm one today as we head back to work for what is our next to the last week. One more Wednesday to go.

It was quiet all day and Barb and I spent the day puttering around the office/camp store. I bagged ice, we read, we played games on the computer and for this I get paid!

By late afternoon over nighters had started coming in and one in particular stands out, hence the title of this entry. Let me explain the SPORT part of it. A while ago Barb and Dan explained to me that when I heard them use the word sport, they don't use it often, that they were really saying something else. The term SPORT is usually reserved for the floaters when they ask something totally stupid, when they don't listen to instructions or something like that.

S. P. O. R. T. Stupid People On River Trips.

"Have a good time on the river today, Sport."

Well, we've expanded that acronym to include Stupid People on Rv Trips or Stupid People on Road Trips. Either one will work.

Well, in comes Mr. IOnlyNeed30Amps. Barb questioned him several times about the electrical service he needed but he insisted a 30 amp site would do him just fine. This guy had a pretty big rig and we couldn't see the roof of it from the office to see if he had two A/C's or not, a telltale sign of the need for a 50 amp site.

Not too much time had passed and he was standing before us in the office dripping with sweat. He was complaining that there was something wrong with the electric service as it kept tripping his breaker every time he turned his A/C on. I spoke up and asked if he was also running the fridge and water heater on electric. Had they turned the TV on? Was there an electric clock plugged in? He answered yes but said that shouldn't matter because he plugged in at home all the time with no problem. Yeah, well we plugged in at home all the time too but we weren't heating water or running the A/C as most people don't. We plug in to re-charge the batteries. At least that is why I think we plugged in, this, after all, IS Bob's department. Anyway, he asked for the maintenance man to come to his site with his "ampameter" to see if he was pulling 30 amps or not. This would determine if he had a problem or the electrical service was the problem, in his mind. We assured him that someone was in the site last night with no problems but that Bob would come over and see what the matter was.

Now Bob was already off the clock and when I went to our place he was getting ready to walk out the door for a beer and Pepsi run. I explained to him what was going on and he said that there was nothing he could do and that he didn't have an "ampameter" only a voltage meter and he couldn't tell the guy how many amps he was pulling but only whether he was getting electricity or not.

OK, now I have to go to site # 13 and talk to the guy. When I got there the guy was sweating even more as he said it was 95 degrees in his trailer. I tried to explain to him that he was expecting too much at once that he should turn his water heater off, put the fridge on propane supply and then try the A/C. He did not want to hear it! After all, when he plugs in at home he has no problem. Yeah, well I bet he isn't heating cold water or running his fridge!

I told him the maintenance man didn't have an "ampameter" and he just lost his cool! "Well, then he's not a maintenance man! The owners are wasting their money paying this guy anything if he doesn't have a simple $10 tool that you can get any hardware store!" Hmmm....fella, I think you are talking about a voltage meter, a completely different animal in the tool world.

"Well, is he coming to help me?" the man asked. I told him, "No, he isn't, he can't tell you what you want to know and he knows there isn't anything wrong with your electric pedestal." Once again, I tried to explain to him to turn his fridge and water....
and he didn't want to hear it! I walked away.

Shortly thereafter the man sees Bob outside and comes over and asks him if he has problems with his electric. Bob replied, "No, my electric is fine." The man goes on to explain what problems he's having and that the "maintenance man" doesn't have simple tools to tell him how many amps he's pulling, yada, yada, yada. Bob looked at him and said, "I'm the maintenance man", and told the guy he would come down and see what he could find out.

Bob explained "Electricity 101" to the guy and he finally turned his water heater off, the fridge over to propane and the A/C ran fine. Imagine that! Welcome to the campground SPORT!

After a dinner of leftovers we watched the hummingbirds outside our window for awhile. We've had as many eight trying to feed off two "flowers" at one time.

Nine, count em' NINE days of work left.

I'm now on day three in a row of taking my meds,,,,hear that Elaine?










2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good girl!!! I'm proud of you!

LaVon Baker said...

Poor SPORT. Some people make you feel like you're in the Twilight Zone.
SPORT reminds me of what Don says BUFFET stands for: Big Ugly Fat Folk Eating Together. As you can imagine, buffets are no longer my dining choice.